• Forum membership has its advantages....

east coast offroad racing?

el chuy

i currently live in sunny phoenix az, but am relocating to south carolina in a few months.. i was wondering if anybody knows what the racing scene is like back there... is there anything going on for buggies or is it mostly utv or rock crawler racing? my racing budget falls somewhere between 'low buck' and 'poverty', so i dont really have the means to just wait to buy whatever is popular.. if i sell my car, i probably wont be able to buy anything different for quite a while, but i could really use the money to help with the move and a fat down payment on a house. is my class 5 car worth keeping and transporting out there? or would it just be wasted time and effort? any advice would be greatly appreciated...

retroblazer

There hasn't been a true Class 5 race in at least 10 years in the Midwest, and virtually never on the East Coast. Because desert and short course off road are so far apart these days, it doesn't make a lot of sense to drag a desert car across the country. Painful as it might be, better to sell before you leave.
I dragged my Blazer out from Chicago, to do the primarily the 1000, from 1998 to 2010.

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

I don't think you will find much racing out this way for your 5-car. But trips to Texas may be worth it for you. Rock racing seems to be the most popular in the area even with UTVs...

I'm still building my truck for the Desert, but I know I will have to travel at least to TX for any racing once it is done!

oldschool5er

There is no pro racing out here that I can find, I brought my two vintage Baja racers out here a few years back from long term storage in Cali and had them licensed for street because that is all you can do with them. I am not willing to run them in east coast mud trails/Rock Crawls. My desert cars are just not the same as the woods buggys and no place to get them up to speed like in the desert. All that being said though having a Baja out here like me is rare and it generates alot of attention. You just don't see any because they have all turned to rust piles. If you bring a rust free baja out here and keep it garaged it will probably generate more money just because of that if you sell it. Or just show it at the shows, drive it in the street or haul it to areas that have good trails. In my case it is only Michigan that is closest with woods trails.

Peter Alesi Jr.

i currently live in sunny phoenix az, but am relocating to south carolina in a few months.. i was wondering if anybody knows what the racing scene is like back there... is there anything going on for buggies or is it mostly utv or rock crawler racing? my racing budget falls somewhere between 'low buck' and 'poverty', so i dont really have the means to just wait to buy whatever is popular.. if i sell my car, i probably wont be able to buy anything different for quite a while, but i could really use the money to help with the move and a fat down payment on a house. is my class 5 car worth keeping and transporting out there? or would it just be wasted time and effort? any advice would be greatly appreciated...
I have raced class 5 for quite a while, There is NO class 5 racing on the east coast. But short course racing like in buffalo springs NY has small & big truck classes along with short course single seat buggy racing.

biffgnar

Somewhere for you to race a Class 5? That's going to be tough. Best racing back here IMO is U4, although even their commitment to the NE has dropped off a bit and you really are looking at SE or Midwest for their races now. There are some U4 like smaller series though that exist.

el chuy

thanks guys... kind of a bummer, but about what i expected to hear... anybody in need of a dope class 5/1600 car? haha!

retroblazer

Wait a minute..... Big difference between a Class 5 and a 5/1600. 5/1600's ran for years after the Cl5's disappeared. Crandon may still have 5/1600's running.

TJ_Gambino

Kinda looks like a 5-1600 / 5U hybrid. Wide front with coil overs and a 5-1600 back. And is that a single port motor I spy from the pics? That is some cool old school VW stuff there.

spalind

She SCORE tagged? If so...she can race in any NASA Stage Rally event...including SandBlast every spring in Cheraw, SC...

yamaducci

I live in Maryland and had to find a team in Cali to learn the desert racing thing. If I were you I would bring it here and tag it as a daily driver. There are places to ride for fun but clearly no deserts over here.. The Florida Beaches have a nice buggy and Bug scene. PA has woods buggy trails. The north has Short course 1600 and Pro. It better be painted because it's going to rust in the SC humidity. Like someone else said you could sell it for a decent price since bugs are rare here. I know I would love to have it.

TJ_Gambino

PM Sent

oldschool5er

I am exactly in the same boat with the same class 5/1600 I raced in. I took out the 5/1600 motor in one of them and put in a big motor to have a little fun with it. But no racing here or nearby for a Baja class . Both my cars were Score tagged with History but sadly I just putz around on the street racing muscle cars lol. Rally? I wish I could find one I could run in. If you have history with the car I would bring it with you as you will regret losing it after the little bit of money you will get for it is gone. That money won't replace the long term pleasure you will get on occasion just toodling around with it. Maybe just Maybe we both could find a Rally or short course a Baja bug could run out here...I will keep wishing but glad I still have mine.

jps1145

Bring it here to Texas... Still a long haul, but not near as long as back to the west coast. We have a pretty fun group of air-cooled cars that race together. www.texasdesertracing.com

pciscott

UTV Rally Raid is a growing series in Georgia and Alabama. Some of their racers have even ventured out west to KOH and Baja. Not so far from your new digs.

pontoontodd

The Texas desert races are fun.
MAORA would be closer though, they usually have a few 1600 cars show up, short course and enduro racing.
index
There are some races at Dirty Turtle and some other places even closer to you but I don't know much about them.