• Forum membership has its advantages....

east coast offroad racing?

TJ_Gambino

i think he has decided to keep it.

Larry in N.C.

I am in the same boat HA HA.......... Moved to N C in 1980 what a let down as far as the racing goes. Love the state. I still have my 1-1600 buggy. I would like to race it in a vintage race class sometime before I get to old to do it.

retroblazer

I am in the same boat HA HA.......... Moved to N C in 1980 what a let down as far as the racing goes. Love the state. I still have my 1-1600 buggy. I would like to race it in a vintage race class sometime before I get to old to do it.
You’re not that far from Crandon, WI. Not backyard close, but close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Larry in N.C.

Well I am one if you want to count Ohio as East coast.
Yes u count. If we could find enough people to make a race somewhere on this side of the states it might be worthwhile. There is alot of farm land that people don't farm anymore. It is just an idea I am not really sure about what it takes to arrange such an event. Maybe someone on here has done it before. They could be of help if enough people are interested. I could be just dreaming. LOL By the way we lived in Anaheim until 1980 then moved to NC and stayed .

Chris Tobin

I wonder just how many desert buggy and baja bug racers are on the east coast..
I'm in Tennessee and so is the RPM Offroad team!!!!

I believe they are still working on bringing some kind of racing to the Virginia/Tennessee area using old coal mining land... I hope they get it going and that I get my big ugly truck done and can participate!!!

pontoontodd

Yes u count. If we could find enough people to make a race somewhere on this side of the states it might be worthwhile. There is alot of farm land that people don't farm anymore. It is just an idea I am not really sure about what it takes to arrange such an event. Maybe someone on here has done it before. They could be of help if enough people are interested. I could be just dreaming. LOL By the way we lived in Anaheim until 1980 then moved to NC and stayed .
I think your best bet would be old mining land. That seems to be where most of the off road parks east of the Mississippi are. Much easier than trying to run something even partially on public roads. This place for instance is over 40,000 acres and I have heard could be much larger:
knottcountyadventure.com
They hold rock racing events so they must be open to more than just trail riding. One issue that will be more difficult than out west is making sure the course is wide enough or can be bypassed when someone breaks down or gets stuck.

The first and easiest thing for any of you to do if you want to go off road racing in the eastern US would be to go off road racing in the eastern US. MAORA holds 4-6 endurances races a year, mainly in Indiana. There are endurance races at line mountain, right? Probably some other ones I don't know about. None of these are exactly what you're looking for, but you can meet some other racers and they already have an organization formed to do what you want to do. Most of those guys would love to race on a 50 mile loop somewhere within 500 miles of home. You'll probably need to get 20-50 racers to show up if you want the park / landowner(s) to think it's worth their while to have you back. There might already be UTV races like this in the eastern US, maybe you could race on a modified version of their course the day after they race or something.

oldschool5er

I am from Long Beach, worked at several VW shops there in the 70's, Circle VW, Bill Barry VW. I raced C11 and 5/1600 with Hank Roed, Sam Schull and Dave Beverly out of Johns Place Porsche in Signal Hill. The cars were built at Dave Beesons place where his Baja Barndoor Bus was built that had raced at Baja de Saddleback. Raced some Ascot Buggy races and several Riverside and Baja races so I would be up for short course. Hank and I moved to Albuquerque and worked at the same race shop, then he went back to Socal in 81 I think it was , then I moved out east from there in 83. Right now I head up to North Michigan where they have tons of off road and just this year opened up another 3500 miles. Lots of guys up there would be glad to see racing make a comeback there and they do have the land. I myself would travel anywhere down your way to race and have several Baja's out here in OH I support that probably would make the trips. Still have the original car in my Avatar that could race Norra, one Vintage C5 I raced, and one 5/1600 on the burner being restored.

I'm in Tennessee and so is the RPM Offroad team!!!!

I believe they are still working on bringing some kind of racing to the Virginia/Tennessee area using old coal mining land... I hope they get it going and that I get my big ugly truck done and can participate!!!
I have been meaning to bring my C5 down to Chattanooga where my son lives, and try the trails at WindRock near Knoxville on the way down, that seems to be a place that could develop a course maybe. Man if RPM got involved they for sure could pull some strings I bet, I thought they had built an RPM 5/1600?

Last edited:

Larry in N.C.

WOW great response everybody. 40,000 acres that ought to do it . Maybe someone will get something going in Tenn. That's not that far from Raleigh. I don't know what RPM stands for but I will look it up. Maybe there are a few more racers on the east side that have more ideas about how to get us a place to go play and have some good family fun with the kids. Thumbs up to all.

yamaducci

Since about 2010 going to BITD races and one Baja 500 I was the furthest participant away with exception from people from other countries. Baltimore, Maryland. One of the top KOH guys is about an hour or two north of me in PA. That's about it.

Larry in N.C.

I have found that there alot of places around that are open to side by side buggys but none want any desert buggys or baja bugs, and trucks are completely forbiden . They have a 1000 CC limit on vehicles . No car body types at all. This makes it tough on the VW powered cars to find a place to get much speed.Rock piles do alot of damage and not many cars make it to the end. I don't know how the trails would be at a mine but I guess it is what it is. The Mint race might be one to compare it to. This is when it gets to be fun !!!
Scan0001.jpg

pontoontodd

I have found that there alot of places around that are open to side by side buggys but none want any desert buggys or baja bugs, and trucks are completely forbiden . They have a 1000 CC limit on vehicles . No car body types at all. This makes it tough on the VW powered cars to find a place to get much speed.Rock piles do alot of damage and not many cars make it to the end. I don't know how the trails would be at a mine but I guess it is what it is. The Mint race might be one to compare it to. This is when it gets to be fun !!!
The off road parks I've been to at old mines are usually a mix of tailings (like pea gravel) and old mine access roads. Those can get rough, rutted out, and have standing water but they're probably nowhere near as rocky as you're picturing. We have raced at one of them and it was one of the best places we've ever raced our buggy. Not the greatest video but you'll get the idea:

Tried to get a race going at a different one but didn't work out for various reasons.

Larry in N.C.

The off road parks I've been to at old mines are usually a mix of tailings (like pea gravel) and old mine access roads. Those can get rough, rutted out, and have standing water but they're probably nowhere near as rocky as you're picturing. We have raced at one of them and it was one of the best places we've ever raced our buggy. Not the greatest video but you'll get the idea:

Tried to get a race going at a different one but didn't work out for various reasons.
WOW That is not a bad video at all. Looks like U were going as fast as we would go in the desert. Saw a couple of upside down shots Fun huh.Do they still race there? And where is there?

pontoontodd

Badlands off road park in Attica, Indiana. Cool place to trail ride but full size (cars/trucks) have to be 4WD.
They had KOH qualifiers there fairly recently but the only motorized thing I see on the schedule for this year is a hare scramble. Old motocross course has been closed off for a few years. Owner is (was?) a big racing fan and basically put on races there for years even though he was losing money at them and it was probably hurting his business.

Another place which was open to holding a race and would be fun to race at is Interlake in southern Indiana. State owned riding area, a lot of it is open to any registered motorized vehicle. Biggest issue there is it would have been up to us to keep non-racers off the course during the race, one person we talked to almost guaranteed that would be a problem.

There are others too, really you should go to at least one MAORA race, see what they have to offer, and try to work with them. I think it would take a decent sized group to make a park or landowner feel like it's worth the effort to put on something like this.