Econoline 9" Rearend?

fas_guy

I got a junk yard 9" out of an early 80's Econoline, I heard they were the widest stock rearend for the $. It's 5 on 5.5 but no brake parts just the back plates, everything moves smoothly (axles,pinion) I want to put a tru trac and gears in it eventually, but im just trying to get it under my 95 f150 for as cheap as poss. right now :) Anyways my main question right now is does any one know if my 8.8 brake setups will fit it or just bolt onto this 9" ? Or are they too different? also what spline it probably is and if anyone else has used or is using this rearend and there input on it :confused: Thanks Tom

FullsizeFun

I think somebody makes a kit to fit the 8.8 explorer disc brakes on a 9" housing, but kinda small for a fullsize truck.

giannini

I purchased a 9" out of a early 80s E-150 van. It had 31 spline axles with a open diff. I know willwood sells a disc brake conversion for this rear end but its pricey.

fas_guy

Guess I'll just have to try and put my 8.8 brakes on the e-9" myself might take me a while to get to it but I"ll let you guys know if it works or not :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DBMETALWORX

were are you finding this brake setup at? Do you know were i can find axles etc. ?
try speedway motors. The 9" is is very common in dirt track racing.. I used ford truck 4x4 front rotors, '79-'81 , on my jeep, with a caliper bracket from speedway, and chevy car calipers.. Try a local stock car shop, they know what you need.
My setup did require some machining on the od of the wheel flange.. Hope this helps....

WoodyW

Were are you finding this brake setup at? Do you know were i can find axles etc. ?
2 ways to do it...1 way is to order a wilwood kit from summit or another clearinghouse that is completely bolt on...and you will want to upgrade the calipers to at least a Superlight setup (I have done this before), The other way is the way DBMetal is telling you to do it. Speedway motors or Stock Car products and piece together everything you need. (done this plenty of times too)

Axles you can get from Superior, Currie, Summers Bros.....pick someone who supports off-road racing.