• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ecotec Crankcase Reseal

Baja Fool

There is a leak on my 2.4 between upper and lower crankcase. Sealant has failed and allows oil to escape.
My questions are these:
  • TTY (Torque to Yield) bolts are required. Any good vendors to source these from?
  • I believe there are 20 bolts required for reassembly; how many are TTY?
  • SOP shows a 2 pass procedure; 1st pass - to 15ft/lbs, 2nd pass - a 70 degree turn. Any comments?
  • What type of sealant did you use? how did you apply it? A lot, a little? Result?
  • Do main bearings stay in the lower case, on the crank or just stayed wherever when you pulled it apart?
  • Any other tips and/or recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks!

Bert is my name

Toyota oil pan sealant or honda bond works really well for these applications. If available I dump tty bolts where ever possible and go with a.r.p. or some other quality bolt or stud. Especially in aluminum. The other thing I have found with one piece lower ends is that the sealant needs at least a day to cure preferably two to three. There is pressurized oil that will blow out the sealant and cause leaks and oil pressure loss.

Baja Fool

Toyota oil pan sealant or honda bond works really well for these applications. If available I dump tty bolts where ever possible and go with a.r.p. or some other quality bolt or stud. Especially in aluminum. The other thing I have found with one piece lower ends is that the sealant needs at least a day to cure preferably two to three. There is pressurized oil that will blow out the sealant and cause leaks and oil pressure loss.
Thanks for the tips. yeah didn't start the engine for a week as I was waiting for flywheel bolts. BTW for those flywheel bolts I used ARP #203-2802 for 4AG Toyota motor. Threads matched up, length was correct, & have a nice shoulder as well. You get 8 but then you have some spares. All to bolt the motor the Mendeola trans.

Last edited: