ecotec ECU / Cooling

jcarius

RDC Crypto
Well, I grenaded my class 10 aircooled motor at the USA 500 - which give me the perfect opportunity to finally do the ecotec swap I've been promising myself ...

I've gone through the various threads, and there's a ton of good information. What I can't seem to find any kind of definitiva answer on is: Which ECU for a 2.2? There seems to be a pretty good split between reprogrammed stock delphi ECU and the MEFI-4 units.

Any big advantages/disadvantages to either? The MEFI 4 units seem to be costing premium $$, does it really matter? How about vibration/water resistance/mounting/ other practical considerations?

The other thing - what kind of radiator setup are folks using - I've got limited space and airflow in my single seat buggy ...

Thanks!

Jim Carius

efiharness

RDC Crypto
Both of these controllers Are good choices, it depends on the app, mefi4 is the best choice if you are going to turbo or big cam, or head work.
OE system is a better choice (cost effective) if you are close to stock ,ie headers ,mild cam. Questions ? Give me a call, Steve 909 910 3867.

ksmith

RDC Crypto
Jcarius,

We just completed an ecotec swap into our 5 unlimited car and went with the delphi unit. After talking with Chris at CBM Motorsports http://www.cbfunforyou.com/index.html he conviced me it was the way to go for us.

The reasons for going with the delphi over the Mefi were based on us keeping it relatively stock ie: header and exhaust, and the primary reason was it would adjust for altitude a lot better than the others. Their are more sensors on the motor because of this but it's still a very simple, easy to install harness. It was also a little bit cheaper if I remember right.
Chris helped me with all of my questions and talked me through the advantages and disadvantages of each option. We ended up buying a junkyard motor and getting the computer and harness from CBM. They were very helpful.

On the radiator, get the biggest one that fits nicely in your car. For hose we used -16 AN fittings and hose. Welded a -16 bung on the motor side and they sell radiators with AN fittings already on them.

Hopefully this helps, Our first race with this motor will be the VORRA 24 hour, should be fun!!

rusco

RDC Crypto
Resurecting this thread.

Does anyone have pictures of radiator mounting / routing and plumbing? Need ideas.