Ecotec question for class 10

Need to replace our Ecotec. Looking at junk yard motors and not sure if I care about the difference between LEA, LAF, LE9? All I know is that I have a 2.4l direct inject ecotec, and I want the same. Hoping somebody can help educate my ignorance!

powerbox_builder

LEA, LAF are the ones, LE9 is non DI. Basically any GM 2.4 2012 or newer will work. Still plenty out there, I just got one with 941 miles, and one with 10K miles out of 2017 Buick Veranos.

Dirtman

Junk yard motors are not competetive
Sorry for my ignorance, why is a "junkyard" motor not competitive? I thought the only other option was a crate motor which is just lower miles. If you already have a class 10/5 setup and just need a motor I thought that was exactly where you go and swap over all the ancillaries.

tapeworm

Sorry for my ignorance, why is a "junkyard" motor not competitive? I thought the only other option was a crate motor which is just lower miles. If you already have a class 10/5 setup and just need a motor I thought that was exactly where you go and swap over all the ancillaries.
He is being sarcastic. He runs junk yard motors and wins pretty regularly. Many other people say the only way to be competitive is to buy from one of the high name builders.

Bro_Gill

We get it Zac, but please tell us the last time a junkyard motor won in class 10 at a major race.

mebedb1

I'll play, 2019 B500, well technically we took 2nd missing a VCP by 250', with a junkyard motor the 1062 started 17th and crossed the finish 1st. took 3rd at the 400 but book-ended the season, leading both races, with a blown junkyard motor. my .02

Rprice

We get it Zac, but please tell us the last time a junkyard motor won in class 10 at a major race.
2nd place class10 car had a junkyard DI @ snore250 2 weeks ago. Argument would be is the snore 250 a major race? Lets see what shakes down at the MINT?

Jeffers909

Need to replace our Ecotec. Looking at junk yard motors and not sure if I care about the difference between LEA, LAF, LE9? All I know is that I have a 2.4l direct inject ecotec, and I want the same. Hoping somebody can help educate my ignorance!
What ECU do you use? LAF was early DI motor LEA is newer and has some differences with the cams and phasing.

You will have serious tuning issues if you replace LEA with LAF or vice versa....

Jeffers909

Junkyard LAF with Humphrey Harness, Delphi ECU and Injector Driver, with R&D Tune is competitive and probably better than any $16,000 plus LIFE package that everyone says is the only way to be competitive. I put 178 to the wheels with mine in 2012 and set rev limiter at 7250. Ran 16 races that way with zero issues. Now I hear they only get 165 to the wheels and set the rev limiter at 6800 or lower????? I don't get it. I had $5000 total into my DI package with adapter plate, headers, harness, and ecu.

Zac Reish

I got 163 on pump gas on Danzio dyno and I got 171 with pump e85. This was in August 2018. Everyone tells me I could have got more using the race e85. No doubt 10 is more competitive than 5 so bro gil has a valid point.

I’ve heard guys getting 180 plus on redlines dyno. Whether that is tuning or redlines calibration on their dyno who knows. It would be $3,000 to find out.

I think junk yard engines are competitive. The guy who won the snore 250 had a junkyard engine as far as I know.

cwarren

We had a junkyard motor at Parker with regular gas. Our normal motor seized going on the trailer to leave for the race. Back and forth on the lead all day until a flat and broken jack at the end of the last lap.

powerbox_builder

Why wouldn't a low mileage junkyard motor be competitive? Supposed to be a sealed STOCK class. If a rebuilt makes more power, then they didn't rebuild it stock. Now not to say there wouldn't be a difference between a fresh motor and a worn out motor. The cars these motors came in all had automatic transmissions and I doubt many ever saw more that 4K RPMs. What I'm noticing is one race season seems to be equivalent to over 50K in stock miles. The higher RPMs wear them out fast.

Slippery P

Junkyard LAF with Humphrey Harness, Delphi ECU and Injector Driver, with R&D Tune is competitive and probably better than any $16,000 plus LIFE package that everyone says is the only way to be competitive. I put 178 to the wheels with mine in 2012 and set rev limiter at 7250. Ran 16 races that way with zero issues. Now I hear they only get 165 to the wheels and set the rev limiter at 6800 or lower????? I don't get it. I had $5000 total into my DI package with adapter plate, headers, harness, and ecu.
Did your Delphi ECU have have no lift shift with rev match and throttle blip, or data logging capability? What about engine shut down protections?
I could go on but these are all rhetorical questions.
Yes someone could be competitive with the above set up that you have mentioned but a lot of people want more from their ECU.

Slippery P

I got 163 on pump gas on Danzio dyno and I got 171 with pump e85. This was in August 2018. Everyone tells me I could have got more using the race e85. No doubt 10 is more competitive than 5 so bro gil has a valid point.

I’ve heard guys getting 180 plus on redlines dyno. Whether that is tuning or redlines calibration on their dyno who knows. It would be $3,000 to find out.

I think junk yard engines are competitive. The guy who won the snore 250 had a junkyard engine as far as I know.
There is nothing wrong with what you have Zac, you are winning...
Yes Redline’s dyno will read higher, west techs will as well. The Danzio chassis dyno will hurt peoples feelings if they have been somewhere else or have some high expectations. Bottom line is people focus way too much on chassis dyno numbers. There are way too many variables in the car to start comparing wheel HP numbers, trans, tight CVs, wheel tire combo etc... I have witnessed a 10-15 HP gain just by changing wheel and tire manufacturers.

Slippery P

To the OP, call LKQ and tell them what you are looking for with the lowest mileage possible. The GM reman’s are junk.

jon coleman

auction motors are good too, years ago,Rickey Ramirez ( jmco)gave me a heads up for a car auction at star towing in kearny mesa,88' jeep xj, All my early glory was with that motor,& jeep chassis all i did was a valve job, swear!!" 04 '05 '3rd overall 1700 , and All the other races, dunaway couple of times, testing, new race motors are overated