Edge rolling aluminum panels

WrRider

Reaction
I'm doing some door panels for a UTV and i want to bevel the edge along the tubing. I have an eastwood bead roller and would like to know what die would be good for this or is there a better way of doing it?
This is an example its approximately 30*
rolled edje.jpg

vegasloki

Reaction
I'd use a "round over" die on that though it would be a radius rather than a straight angle. If you want a straight angle there are angle dies as well. It's likely neither of those die profiles are in your basic Eastwood kit. Check out Ron Covell's site for great how to vids and tips. In addition to the paid vids and DVDs he puts a lot of free content up on the site and places like Eastwood use him in vid demos for their products.

isdtbower

Reaction
I am not a body guy...but did make some similar aluminum fenders with a 90* turn down. I agree with starting as a flat sheet with a round over die or a brake, then working the edge as you shape the fender the other direction. In my case, I finally had to remove the rounded sections and weld back a piece hammer formed to the shape. I tried a shrinker but it didn't do enough. I think a shrinker could work in your picture. Try it first.

I always thought that you might be able to slap the material against the tube...working your way toward the curve so it would over-lap itself and shrink. A little heat will help anneal and let the material move. Practice and patience.

WrRider

Reaction
Thanks guys I did a bit of research and ordered a Covell die. I thank it will be the easiest way to get it done fast and consistent. I like how it has a guide built in.

WrRider

Reaction
It was quite nice. Not the same as pictured but close enough. Best pics I got of it
IMG_20180318_203715955.jpg
IMG_20180311_120055309.jpg
IMG_20180310_210639688_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180318_203715955.jpg
IMG_20180311_120055309.jpg
IMG_20180310_210639688_HDR.jpg

gawdodirt

Reaction
On the roof part, it seems that a shrinker, on about an inch of the perimeter may have been appropriate. Bought a HF shrinker/stretcher and it does a reasonable job in this case. Other methods, like dead-blow hammering it over the exact tube works well too. Looks like it did end up nicely.