EFI or Carb?

PatrickG

Reaction
Im going to probably be rebuilding my engine here shortly and was wondering what would be better. I have a 93' toy with the 22re and I was thinking of removing the efi and running dual sidedrafts. It will still be my daily driver and im not worried about emissions because if i keep the efi im probably going to remove most of that stuff anyways. thanks
Patrick

Eric_M

Reaction
if you go from EFI to a carbed motor, "i believe" that you will need a new fuel delivery system. fuel pump, computer, etc. i think that because the carbed motor like my 22R uses a hydraulic fuel pump and the 22RE uses an electric fuel pump. so if you go to a carbed motor im pretty sure you have to change your fuel delivery systyem as well as the computer in the truck.

PS) if anyone says what i have said above is wrong, feel free to correct me becuase i was only stating what i was told.

sand is for people who lack the skills to navigate objects

hoeker

Reaction
personally i wouldn't even consider giving up a working EFI system for a Carb. The only time i would consider it is if you are making major engine mods and the EFI won't be able to compensate for it. i must also say that i have no experience with side draft carbs at all.

Build it right, Drive it hard.
www.rosshoek.com

1992f150

Reaction
why why why would you loose EFI for carb??? I dont understand why you say you dont care about emissions if its a daily driver? You got a friend whos a smog tech or what?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
You wouldn't have to change to the mechanical fuel pumps like the 22r, but you might have to get a regulator or a different electric pump with the proper amount of fuel psi going to your engine. I wouldn't do it if it was your daily driver, you may run into smog problems and bad mileage which wouldn't be good on a dd.

P.S. It might be easier to just swap engines if you have your heart set on it, Personally, for my dd I would swap my carb for your efi.

ntsqd

Reaction
If you pull all the EFI stuff off, what do you want for it ?

I'm with others, I wouldn't go backwards like that, but that's what makes us individuals.....

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i have a 86 yota 22r and i love it, and works great as a daily driver, and good mpg, i have the weber 32/36 though and the side drafts will deliver more power which leads to more fuel consumption, i also thought the 22r and 22re had different heads and that might need to be changed but i'm just thinking i don't know for sure.

no brain, no pain

drtdevil93

Reaction
lc engineering has a pressure regulator/reducer that will lower it to like 4 psi (which is what the carb setup needs).

why not go aftermarket efi? i had all kinds of problems with the factory efi on my old motor. i could never get it to work right. on my new lc engineering motor it was 1200 for the whole carb setup, or about 1400 for a sds efi system. i went with sds, and it works awesome (ok ive driven it for one day now). the throttle response is great, and there are about 1/10 as many wires in the engine compartment now. lc broke the motor in on the dyno with a 38mm carb setup, then hooked up the sds efi and just set it up so it would start. it made about the same amount of hp with both setups (a little over 200), but made another 35 ft/lbs of torque with the efi (200 w carbs, 235 w efi). i got it and it took me about an hour at my local street racing dragstrip to tune it. its a regular little rocket now :) id say go with efi.

erik

PatrickG

Reaction
Which EFI setup did you get. The lc engineering catalog is what started my wondering. The 2.6 efi was running 147 hp, and the stage 3 claims 185hp. Im running their big bore throttle body and efi cam and there are times when it idles good, and other times when it sucks. Right now its ripped apart for a timming chain replacement (thanks toyota for plastic guides and mounting everthing to the timing cover). what do you keep when using this system. are there factory parts that you use with it or does everything go.
Thanks
Patrick

cleartoy

Reaction
I ran dual 40mm Weber side drafts on my 85. They have good torque, but with the weather changing, so does their performance. I got about 13mpg.

I perfer the efi in my current 94 after having had both.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

drtdevil93

Reaction
i went with the sds "f" system, distributorless ignition and fuel control. the 2.6 efi in their catalog is with stock efi. the sds setup uses stock manifold and throttle body. it eliminates the mass air sensor (THANK GOD). the only thing you need to add with it is a crank trigger (lc can make the whole bracket and magnet-pulley), and a map sensor. you get rid of so much of the stock crap, it looks so much better after without that huge pile of spaghetti (wires) in the engine compartment. the total cost for the whole efi system was about 1700 (ecu, map sensor, injectors, hall sensor). and for the whole dual carb setup (carbs, manifold, pressure regulator, linkage) it like 1300 i think. and then you have to get a different distributor, i think.

erik

PatrickG

Reaction
That sounds like something i would like having. That mass air sensor thing is something i've had to
"adjust" and i would love to get rid of all the other crap. Perhaps when my taxes come back i'll get that system. How hard was it to tune? thanks again.
Patrick