el cajon speedway

robert_encinas

Reaction
i just read today in the san diego tribune i think it was that the owner of el cajon speedway was fatally shot in the chest at his front door the other day.
the police said their are 2 suspects; one about 30ish and the other about 20ish, they took off in a older black ford bronco witnesses said.
that really sucks. i hope that the racing can still continue there.i hope his family remains strong thru this ordeal.i also hope the police catch those s.o.b.s.

deleted

----
Reaction
This was off Jayski:

Tragic News: El Cajon Speedway promoter Steve Brucker, whose family has owned the track for more than 40 years, was fatally shot yesterday on his doorstep, authorities said. Sheriff's investigators said they had few leads to the gunman and didn't know a motive for the killing. Brucker, 51, dialed 911 himself about 2:25pm and told a dispatcher that he'd been shot in the chest when he answered a knock on his door. Deputies found him inside the house on Medill Avenue just east of the El Cajon city limits near Interstate 8. Paramedics took him to Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego, where he was declared dead about 4:00pm, said sheriff's Lt. Terry Wisniewski of the homicide unit. Authorities said the shooter was a white man in his 30s, with salt-and-pepper hair, wearing a baseball cap and dark clothes. He was accompanied by a second white man, described only as in his late 20s. They reportedly left in an older-model black Ford Bronco. Brucker leaves a wife and two children, Wisniewski said. Brucker was president of Cajon Plaza, the family owned company that has operated Cajon Speedway next to Gillespie Field airport since 1960. He and his brother, Kevin, ran the business for father Earle Brucker. The speedway started as a course for motorcycles, then auto races were added and the track was paved and expanded to its current 3/8-mile length. The 32-day racing season draws an average race day crowd of 3,000. Rumors that the speedway would soon close down have circulated for years. Steve Brucker was quoted in The San Diego Union-Tribune last year as saying that the family would keep running the track "unless someone shows up with a large pickup filled with money." Brucker said the family holds a lease option on the land good through 2010, but county officials have said they believe the lease expires in 2005.(San Diego Union-Tribune)(4-15-2003)

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
My Truck Jumps So Sick

bajaboy

Reaction
Sad to hear about this, my heart goes out to the family.

Sounds almost like the Mickey Thompson murder.

Bajaboy

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
I have known Steve Brucker for over 20 years and will miss him.I have been a sponsor of Cajon Speedway for over 20 years mostly because of Steve and his family and I know they will carry on as he would have wanted them to.It's funny how life goes as I decided to go to Cajon Speedway last Saturday to watch a friend race.It had been about 3 years since I've been and I happened to run into Steve in the pits and spend about 10 minutes with him before I went back up to the stands.I'm glad now that I had that time with him!

BEERMAN

George_Lara

Reaction
FYI...

Officials ask for help in Brucker slaying case

UNION-TRIBUNE
April 24, 2003

The Sheriff's Department issued a plea for help yesterday in finding two women involved in an altercation with race promoter Steve Brucker days before he was killed.

Brucker and his brother, Kevin, confronted two women in a truck who were tearing up a dirt parking lot at the Cajon Speedway on April 10. Four days later, Steve Brucker was fatally shot at his East County home.

Kevin Brucker said last week that the brothers took the keys to the truck from the women, but later released the vehicle to its registered owner.

According to a news release, investigators want to "locate the truck and the females that were involved in the dispute."

Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information that leads to an arrest in the case.

The women are between 17 and 25 years old, and about 5 feet 5 inches tall, authorities said. The driver is believed to be white, with thin, collar-length brown hair. The passenger may be Hispanic with dark shoulder-length hair.

The truck is described as a 1990s Toyota Pre-Runner or Stadium pickup with a standard cab, with medium or dark gray primer. The truck is lifted and has flared fenders and off-road tires.

It has tinted windows with a white sticker in the center of the back window, detectives said. A roll bar can be seen inside the cab and extends into the bed with a spare tire mounted on it.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Detective Curt Goldberg at (858) 974-2321 during business hours or (858) 565-5200 after hours.

bajaboy

Reaction
All us deset racers are such a tight knit group I'm sure these girls will be found quick. !

Bajaboy

ChuckH

Reaction
EL CAJON - A 21-year-old man who acted as a lookout in the botched robbery and murder of the owner of the Cajon Speedway nearly three years ago was sentenced Friday to 17 years in state prison.

Brandon Handshoe, who was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Lantz Lewis, pleaded guilty last May to voluntary manslaughter and testified against co- defendants Eric "Stressed" Anderson," Randy Lee and Apollo Huhn.

Before sentencing, Handshoe wrote a letter of apology to the victim's family, said Deputy District Attorney Glenn McAllister.

Anderson was sentenced to death for firing the fatal shot that killed 51- year-old Stephen Brucker.

Huhn was convicted of murder plus special circumstance allegations and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, while Lee was acquitted of murder charges.

McAllister told jurors that Lee, a high school friend of the victim's son, told his co-defendants that a large amount of cash could be found in a safe at Brucker's home in the outskirts of El Cajon.

Lee did not go along for the April 14, 2003, robbery but asked for a 15 percent cut, the prosecutor told the jury.

Anderson was supposed to hold Brucker hostage while Huhn cracked the safe, but instead fired his .45-caliber handgun shortly after the victim answered the door at 2:25 p.m. and told the three to get off his property, McAllister said

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
Reaction
ChuckH said:
EL CAJON - A 21-year-old man who acted as a lookout in the botched robbery and murder of the owner of the Cajon Speedway nearly three years ago was sentenced Friday to 17 years in state prison.

Brandon Handshoe, who was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Lantz Lewis, pleaded guilty last May to voluntary manslaughter and testified against co- defendants Eric "Stressed" Anderson," Randy Lee and Apollo Huhn.

Before sentencing, Handshoe wrote a letter of apology to the victim's family, said Deputy District Attorney Glenn McAllister.

Anderson was sentenced to death for firing the fatal shot that killed 51- year-old Stephen Brucker.

Huhn was convicted of murder plus special circumstance allegations and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, while Lee was acquitted of murder charges.

McAllister told jurors that Lee, a high school friend of the victim's son, told his co-defendants that a large amount of cash could be found in a safe at Brucker's home in the outskirts of El Cajon.

Lee did not go along for the April 14, 2003, robbery but asked for a 15 percent cut, the prosecutor told the jury.

Anderson was supposed to hold Brucker hostage while Huhn cracked the safe, but instead fired his .45-caliber handgun shortly after the victim answered the door at 2:25 p.m. and told the three to get off his property, McAllister said

Tweakers Suck!