El Centro NAVY is FULL of Off-Road'ers that need our help

Brian & Amy

Many of us that enjoy off roading in the Imperial Valley (Plaster City especially!) have no idea that there is a huge Navy base just a stones throw from the trails we ride and courses we race!

These Navy guys and gals sacrifice a tremendous amount in their day-to-day job, which is keeping our country safe so that we can enjoy the freedoms that allow us to do things like offroading.

A group of guys at the El Centro Navy Base have an off road club, and for the past year or so have been trying to develop an "offroad park" on base for active duty personnel . They have a ton of heart and commitment, but to make the active duty offroad park a reality they need money.

If you have been to a DRIVE race you have seen these guys. They are the DRIVE Volunteer Team members with the tightest hair cuts :D

They give up their own time to come of base and volunteer at off road races because they love the sport and want to support off road racing. It would be awesome if the RDC family could get together to help out these men and women that do so much for us.

The El Centro Navy Off Road Club will be at the Vons in El Centro, September 1st from 4PM to 7PM taking donations. If you are in the valley please make a point to stop in and show you support for these guys and what they are trying to do.

Thank you to all the men and women that serve in our Armed Forces!

-Brian & Amy

M.Harvey1600

The first drive race i went to i pitted for Blue Buzzard Motorsports and a group of the volunteers that were working a road crossing near our out pit were telling me about their off road park... sounds like a great idea... if i was from the area i would donate some $ to their cause... when i am down doing my charity event with DRIVE Sept. 19th i will give a donation at that time!

Nothing is stronger than the heart of a Volunteer...

they volunteer to help at races, the least we could do is help them out in return!

harleys dad

The Blue Angels use that base for training, I have had the privlige of many performances out by the ancient dry lake bed

BLeMert

I am in, just tell me where to send the $$$ and it will get done, I love how Drive is working and it will work, you
guys are doing a service to this country and we should all gladly repay you in one form or another
THANK Y0U
Brad

Brian & Amy

Thank you to everyone that has shown an interest in helping these guys (and gals) out. The paypal account is a great idea. This is one of the reasons why RDC is so cool!

-Brian & Amy

Ozzie M

Thank you to everyone that has shown an interest in helping these guys (and gals) out. The paypal account is a great idea. This is one of the reasons why RDC is so cool!

-Brian & Amy
Let us know when its set up ill make a donation also.

Vtr_Racing

We have a similar set up in Tx at Fort Hood in Killeen. The riding area is awesome. However, some issues with lawsuites caused them (Ft. Hood) to just close down for a few years. This is land that the military allows us to use and can be taken away and shut down at any time. You need to get it out there that people need to be responsible or they will shut the place down. Good luck and I hope this works out. Keep us all posted.

Zambo

As an instructor pilot, I spent more time at NAF El Centro than I can even remember. Good folks out there working at that base to be sure.

But I don't really understand what it is they want to do. If they want to offroad then they already live in one of the best places to do so. Why can't they just go out to Plaster city or the dunes like everybody else. These are great offroading areas and they're right there and they're free.

A base in TX is different because there aren't public areas in TX like there are in California.

Now if they were trying to build a motocross track or something then that would make more sense. I guess I just don't get what the goal here is.

Brian & Amy

As an instructor pilot, I spent more time at NAF El Centro than I can even remember. Good folks out there working at that base to be sure.

But I don't really understand what it is they want to do. If they want to offroad then they already live in one of the best places to do so. Why can't they just go out to Plaster city or the dunes like everybody else. These are great offroading areas and they're right there and they're free.

A base in TX is different because there aren't public areas in TX like there are in California.

Now if they were trying to build a motocross track or something then that would make more sense. I guess I just don't get what the goal here is.

Motocross tracks, obstacle/rock crawling, etc...

dwasser

It's a motor cross track and an area for trucks. One of the guys put up their own money to have it built. Last I talked to them they really needed a way to water the track. The nearest fire hydrant is over 600 feet away.

I've talked to James over there several times. I think they built it because they are always working. Having something on base makes it easier for them to get in a quick ride when the are able to catch a break.

Hope that helps explain it more.

Zambo

Last time I checked MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) department has quite a bit of money to help with stuff like this. One of our team members helped get them to pay for a whole football field behind his barracks out at Pendleton from what I understand. Has anyone
1. contacted anybody at MWR and
2. asked the base CO if they do get some funding whether he would allow such a facility to be constructed?

If the head guy at the base doesn't want a track due to liability reasons, noise, or whatever, its not going to be built no matter how much money you collect.

jsmstorm

Wow how in the world did I miss this thread?!

Ok here is the deal with what we have. We had a 2 tracks (one main and one kids) and an off-road (truck / rhino) course built for us about a year ago now basically because it is convenient for us and our families (especially during the winter since no one comes here in the summer for obvious reasons) we are busy and don't always have time to get to the dez. The base gave us the land to build it on. However, due to insurance reasons we have to be "labeled" as a private club, so MWR will not give us any support.

The initial funding to get it all built came from an interest free loan from a fellow member of our club, and since then 90% of maintenance / upkeep has came out of our pockets. We had some stickers made up we have been selling mostly at the DRIVE contingencies which has helped immensely with all the money we need to keep it in shape so it doesn't blow away basically.

We do have several stickers for sale still I am sure some of you have seen them if not they are the exact same thing as my avatar (only bigger of course) we are selling them for $10 each if you would like to pay via paypal I will ship them to your door for the same price.

We are hoping to get some shirts made up soon so if any of you have a business out there and would like some advertising in exchange for making a donation to the club please get in contact with me and we can discuss further details about this.

If you would like to buy a sticker or make a donation or have any questions what so ever about it either PM me or shoot me an email at jsmstorm1@vzw.blackberry.net

Also if any of you on here are active duty, retired, or a military dependent and would like to join let me know membership is $50 for 6 months and all you need to do is get me a copy of your safety course card and sign the waiver.

Thanks all and sorry for the delay I just now found this thread,
Jerrod