electric fan cfm

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I have seen recommendations for V8's...2300cfm, roughly. But what about a 4 cyl? In particular a stock to mild 22r (<---see pic at left...lol)......1300cfm be sufficient? Don't wanna shell out $$$ for a fan and end up being weak.

Billy_the_Kid

Run a Dodge Dakota fan from a newer Magnum 360. Don't know how much cfm, but they pull a ton of air. We just converted from dual 12" fans to thw single 18" (?) fan and it probably pulls 3 times the amount of air. I have also heard the the 23" (?) Mustang Performance fans are really good, but very hard to find.

hoeker

ford taurus SHO fan, 16" diam and comes with a shroud about the right size for that 4 cyl radiator. the motor is 2 speed, so you could wire it so you could switch it into high when you really need it. they are about 180 bucks from ford, but worth every penny. this fan actually uses the same motor as the 23" fan billy mentioned. i can dig up the part number later today and post it. don't skimp on your fan put the biggest fan you can fit on your radiator and never worry about overheating it.

BTW i use these fans on my pro-2 with custom shrouds for the larger radiators, in low they move a lot of air, in high, stand back, it's pretty amazing.

www.rosshoek.com

shower

Ross is right on that one. Get the fan from any 3.8 liter engine, taurus, cougar, etc. There is an extensive thread on these fans on Pirate4x4.com. I think it is up to about 8 pages long. Great tech there. I got mine from PNP for about $20.

SpareChangeRacng

I have heard that stock type electric fans pull much more air and work much better then aftermarket ones. I've got a buddy who runs MDR and he's running a fan that I took off my donor engine (90 T-bird) on his transmission cooler and he says it works great. The cool thing about the stock ones is they're evrywhere in junk yards, and for cheap. Plus you can find um in dual rate like was mentioned above. Steve

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Spal makes some of the best electric fans money can buy. I was looking into these recently as I want a pusher on the front of my condensor to keep the AC real cold during stop and go traffic and for those times when it is 110+ in the nevada sun! Painless Wiring makes the nicest relays and thermostat switches for the electric fans I have seen.

hoeker

taurus fan part no.f4dh8c607ea 16" dia. shroud is approximately 17" x 22"

i agree with kritter on the spal fans being the best aftermarket fan available, but don't think they come close to the quality of a factory fan from the big 3.

www.rosshoek.com

BRBoudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Ross is right on that one. Get the fan from any 3.8 liter engine, taurus, cougar, etc. There is an extensive thread on these fans on Pirate4x4.com. I think it is up to about 8 pages long. Great tech there. I got mine from PNP for about $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll back ya on that one. I pulled two fans from Pick a Part a couple of months ago, both 3.8L Ford Fans for $60 total. Different part numbers after the 8607? but I've hooked both of them up for giggles (got to do the alt. swap to power one of these bad boys) and they pull get down to it serious CFM. The shrouds would probably fit good for a 4 cyl. I wouldn't fret using the shroud on my V-8, but I may end up cut the fan itself out and fabbing up a shroud to cover the whole radiator.

Lots of guys are having sucess with these fans that they didn't have with the big money fans.

tedmales

i used the all metal fans from summit. the biggest one they had. it was about $100, and it did very well. the only problem i ever had was the thermostats. i never found one that worked for a long time. i just gave up and hooked them up so when the key is on, the fan is on. that way i know. had a shroud made for $40. i never had any problems with them cooling. on my 34 i have just a plastic universal fan that came with the radiator and it keeps the ls-6 cool no problems. and its hot here in yuma. i think that the best thing you can do is have a good shroud. makes all the difference.