Electric Motorcycle Class in the near future with SCORE and BITD?

lakelaurashawn

Reaction
Hey Guys - With electric cars, hybrid cars, solar homes and now electric off-road bikes is it a matter of time until we see an electric class slowly enter into the racing scene?

Here is a bike that is being tested and validated by the Special Forces. Seems pretty cool to me. However with only a 2-hour battery maybe that is the equivalent of a two pit stops at 60 miles that would have otherwise been for gas? The battery swap is 'quick' but I could not find how long it truly took.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-mx/
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...-testing-stealth-bike-for-u-s-special-forces/

Still sounds like fun to try a quite bike with 54hp - it'd be like my neighbors Tesla, just on two wheels.

Thanks
Lake

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Yes. It's probably a matter of time. Zero's battery technology (i.e. range) seems to be improving every year. Right now they say the MX (with the two battery option) will last 35 - 120 minutes on the track. If it really was 120 in race conditions it would be totally doable to go 50-60 miles between pits, but I doubt you could get that range in SCORE/BITD race conditions. Silt, soft sand, hill climbs, heat, added weight for rider gear, tools & water, not to mention lights if you're racing at night, it's probably not quite doable yet, even at trail riding speed.

Give it a couple years and someone (probably under 150 pounds) will finish some SCORE/BITD races on an electric bike. Give it many more years before they're competitive with gas powered bikes.

Probably a good time for some feather-weight moto racers to start looking for sponsorship deals with Zero.

trentk

Reaction
I have a little knowledge in this area I started considering an electric race ATV for baja about 4 years ago but the battery technology still isn't there for endurance type activities. The sweet spot for electric racing is shorter stuff like hill climbs, drag racing etc because of course the torque is awesome. If you can afford lots of batteries to swap at pit stops then yeah its doable but that is mega expensive. I am in touch with the guy who builds and races the quickest electric bike and he had this to say recently:

"I don't think that 250 miles in sand, non-stop, is even possible to simply complete on battery power. (Sand driving is especially energy consuming.) It could happen in a few years, but not with presently-available batteries.

To get a very rough estimate of the weight of batteries required, take the number of gallons of gasoline it takes to complete the race, then multiply by 100.

The TTXGP Isle of Man race is 38 miles long and they just managed to average 100 mph for the course. It is 100% paved. That is the state of the art for motorcycles at least. You get the idea. A race with a duration of 15 minutes is winnable with the present battery technology. Anything longer will require higher specific energy batteries to be competitive. "
http://www.killacycle.com/

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
They should try NORRA with the electric bike. The stages are short enough to get by with 1-2 battery swaps, the terrain is hard pack for decent battery life, and they can be re-charging the inventory of battery packs overnight (and on the chase truck with a generator). Would make for a good proof of concept for the electric bike and the rally format makes for good VIP/customer hosting possibilities each night.

biffgnar

Reaction
They should try NORRA with the electric bike. The stages are short enough to get by with 1-2 battery swaps, the terrain is hard pack for decent battery life, and they can be re-charging the inventory of battery packs overnight (and on the chase truck with a generator). Would make for a good proof of concept for the electric bike and the rally format makes for good VIP/customer hosting possibilities each night.

Wasn't it tough for the EV1 electric car this year? Seems like a car would have a lot more battery capacity than a bike.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
The issue with the car was the battery pack was like 1000+ lbs and >$50,000.
And it needed a massive recharging generator.

The motorcycle has a smaller lighter and cheaper battery to swap out.

BGRANT

Reaction
Lake-Design it/build it and lets try it!
I have ridden an MX version and it is really weird not to hear anything and not use a clutch. Super torque.