Electric Power Steering pump

hobie164

Reaction
Has anyone ever done anything with an electric power steering pump? I have been reading about a unit that comes off a Toyota MR2 that I think may work for what I want to do.

If anyone has any insight into electric power steering pumps or electric hydraulic pumps in general please let me know as any information I can gather the better.

Thanks,

zjohnson

Reaction
I am pretty sure the FPO lites with rotary motors run electric power steering pumps, another unit to look at is off the 04+ HHR's. Allready running with an ecotec.

hobie164

Reaction
Thanks so much. I know all the FPO boys so i will call them today and see how the system works.

_

Reaction
If I recall correctly, the MR-2 electric pump draws 50 to 70amps under load. This current draw will heavily influence your electrical circuits and alternator requirements. Something to consider before you invest the effort in electric.

07FJRog

Reaction

_

Reaction
Did more research on this for you all, digging back through my records from 4-years ago, and confirming these numbers with another person involved at that time. Here are my results.

Note: These numbers come from the Saleen S-7 vehicles of which I was involved in remedying many of their electrical issues.

The power steering system, using a 2nd generation MR2 electric pump, drew 30-40 amps under normal turning conditions and 15-20 amps at a steady state. The more rapid you turn the wheel, the greater the current draw. Additionally, these pumps drew 80-100 amps at full lock.

It is safe to assume that in an off road vehicle, seldom are you not turning the wheel. So, you should take these numbers into consideration and engineer around them.

One side note: The 2000 - 2005 MR2 came with a 80 amp alternator.

so what kind of alt is on the MR2 a 140 amp? lol don't think so

it may draw that at full lock, but i doubt it.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-using-toyota-mr2-ehps-19505.html

hobie164

Reaction
That is perfect as I want to run it on my Rhino. I am sick of having the steering wheel ripped out of my hands and I know I will ruin one of the factory electric assisted power steering units that the 09's come with.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
That is perfect as I want to run it on my Rhino. I am sick of having the steering wheel ripped out of my hands and I know I will ruin one of the factory electric assisted power steering units that the 09's come with.

Actually, the aftermarket electric ones they sell seem to hold up fairly well. I have seen them used on buggy's with 31" tires and living.

hobie164

Reaction
Actually, the aftermarket electric ones they sell seem to hold up fairly well. I have seen them used on buggy's with 31" tires and living.

Can you specify what unit you are using? I would love to see a picture or get more details. Thanks for the help.

When I said electric power steering unit for rhinos is the factory direct replacement that you can now get for the 2009. It is an integrated electric driven motor that I hear everyone is breaking apart.

07FJRog

Reaction

check out the unit from Unisteer. there are many SxS that have been using them for play or mud racing and short course racing. not one unit has broken that I know of yet.

not cheap though, they run about $999.00

BTW, I have not heard of one 09 Rhino that has power steering. the grizz does, but not the rhino.

D.Mavis

Reaction
I have a complete electric http://atvpowersteering.com/ system in a 33in. tire 1300 lb MC powered minibuggy. I'd recomend it, from the limited testing I've done it works. I think I'd try the "corsa" unit. its a full electric system that can be controlled via a $50 controller on ebay. suposedly theres a guy in UK that will sell you everything for $300.

Ebay link to controler

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Corsa-Rally-Kit-...ewItemQQimsxZ20090826?IMSfp=TL090826157001r72

minibuggy.net link page 6 talks about the corsa unit

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/utv-area/8964-utv-power-steering.html

David Kennedy

Reaction
The Chevy Silverado Hybrid pickup also uses an electric power steering pump--but I just read that it is powered by the truck's 42-volt system:(

LantanaTX

Reaction
anyone ever look at the full electric system on the Chevy Cobalt? It looks to be self contained with the ECM. Not sure though if it can be wired stand alone. These are on Ebay for under $100 with free shipping.