• Forum membership has its advantages....

Electric starter XR650R?

Mike Hobbs

At almost 50 years old starting that beast is a pain in the arse to me. Have called around and it seems no one makes an e-start for them anymore. If anyone has an idea where I can get one I'd very thankful. It's a 2007 model year Honda XR650R.

Thanks,
Hobbs

motoman29

if you can find one, they are $1000+++.

IMO, they are not worth it. They are heavy and expensive.

Get your carb dialed in and get your starting routine down, and it will start easy. I can do it in flip flops all day long.

Mike Hobbs

Not sure how old you are but I've been riding and racing for over 35 years. I only ride the bike once in a while and yes I put fuel stabilizer in the fuel if that is your next question. It's a plated XR in Cali so they are hard to get. It's already a pig so another 14 pounds won't make that big of a difference.

if you can find one, they are $1000+++.

IMO, they are not worth it. They are heavy and expensive.

Get your carb dialed in and get your starting routine down, and it will start easy. I can do it in flip flops all day long.

MANIAC998

I've heard someone mention that the assembly off from the Honda Quad will retro-fit. It would probably be costly though, as I think you would need the cases.

partybarge_pilot

The TRX700 unit will not swap over, the cases are completely different unfortunately. Baja designs has not made the starter kit for those in years. Goki? used to make one but I think they are long out of production also.

Baja D "Diego"

Hey Hobbs the Electric start kits for the XR650R are very rare and hard to come by now a days. We discontinued ours about 7yrs ago and Joe Race Products discontinued his shortly after ours. You might and say might find one on EBAY that is used. Good Luck on your findings bud!

motoman29

Not sure how old you are but I've been riding and racing for over 35 years. I only ride the bike once in a while and yes I put fuel stabilizer in the fuel if that is your next question. It's a plated XR in Cali so they are hard to get. It's already a pig so another 14 pounds won't make that big of a difference.
at the end of every ride, drain the tank and the carb if it is going to sit for more than a week.

use fresh gas.

have your stock carb cleaned and dialed in.

adjust your valves.

get your routine down, and it will fire first, or at worst second kick every single time.

yes, it is not as easy as a button, but not bad.

if your carb isn't dialed, a starter will kill a battery quick trying to fire the Piggy

Mike Hobbs

Thanks for the tips guys! Got a lead on someone that uses a XL starter... Going to check into it.

jesusgatos

The Baja Designs kits were rumored to have a lot of problems, so I purchased a used Joe Racer e-start kit for one of our bikes, but never bothered installing it. There were a few things about the way it was designed that I didn't like and after replacing the stock carb with an FCR, it was always a one-kick starter. You can buy a billet carb adapter from Noss that's like $60 and makes it a bolt-in deal. Better setup all around than the over-priced Sudco kits. Just another option for you...

kenaroo

I feel Honda really F'd up on not making a e-start 650r.... that motor was awesomely reliable and fast.

Still Regret selling my XRR's. Love the new e-starts on the smaller bikes but they never rode the same as my set up XR in the desert..

A riding buddy of mine had the e-start on his XR.. never really worked.. and he Kick started it most of the time as the battery would never have enough Juice to turn it over...

think with some of the new lithium Ion batteries.. it might have worked better

Black Sheep

Hey Hobbs the Electric start kits for the XR650R are very rare and hard to come by now a days. We discontinued ours about 7yrs ago and Joe Race Products discontinued his shortly after ours. You might and say might find one on EBAY that is used. Good Luck on your findings bud!
Any chance of you going back into production on these? Or would you be willing to sell the molds/plans?

I ask not because I can't or hate kicking these over, I ask because I build 3 wheelers and rearward kickstart interfere with the rear fenders.

Baja D "Diego"

Any chance of you going back into production on these? Or would you be willing to sell the molds/plans?

I ask not because I can't or hate kicking these over, I ask because I build 3 wheelers and rearward kickstart interfere with the rear fenders.

Hey Black Sheep fist off very cool build you got going on there for sure. As far as getting these back in production it wouldn't happen on our side. We have streamed line our line pretty much to lighting and not as much bolt accessories for bikes except for the few parts passenger foot pegs and side panels tanks. Here is a link to Goki MFG who makes electric start kits for several ATC might want to give them a call to see if they can build you one.
http://www.goki-storm.com/Goki-honda-electric-start-kits.html

wayne_demonja

At almost 50 years old starting that beast is a pain in the arse to me. Have called around and it seems no one makes an e-start for them anymore. If anyone has an idea where I can get one I'd very thankful. It's a 2007 model year Honda XR650R.

Hi Mike, I have sent you a message about the electric starter for XR650R. I'm in the middle on doing one for my bike and will be doing more. I will do this as a kit and will try to price it where its aforable, I have attached a picture of my XR650R and some or the first gear housing that I just got done yesterday. Oh buy the way I'm 55 years old so I know what your saying.

Attachments

Mike Hobbs

Dang it RDC! I replyed to this post and it seems it went off to space or something. Anyway, wayne keep me posted on how this project works out.

Hi Mike, I have sent you a message about the electric starter for XR650R. I'm in the middle on doing one for my bike and will be doing more. I will do this as a kit and will try to price it where its aforable, I have attached a picture of my XR650R and some or the first gear housing that I just got done yesterday. Oh buy the way I'm 55 years old so I know what your saying.

jesusgatos

Neat! That looks kinda similar to the Joe Racer kit I had. It's been a few years, but if I remember correctly, the main thing I didn't like about it was that it relied on a one-way bearing and and when I looked at the specs, it didn't seem like it was a good fit for that application. Maybe it wouldn't have been a problem, but the last thing I wanted to do was to make modifications that could affect the reliability of that machine, which was one of the main reasons why I bought that particular bike in the first place. Would love to hear more about how your design works. You should post-up on ADVrider about this, as there are a lot of people still riding these bikes and it's a subject that keeps coming up. If you come up with a good solution and are able to put kits together for a reasonable price, have no doubt that you'll sell at least a few of them. We sold the last of our 650R's several years ago, but I kept getting enquiries about these CR/F conversion tripleclamps I designed that we finally decided to put them into (limited) production.

Black Sheep

I'm in the middle on doing one for my bike and will be doing more. I will do this as a kit and will try to price it where its aforable, I have attached a picture of my XR650R and some or the first gear housing that I just got done yesterday. Oh buy the way I'm 55 years old so I know what your saying.
Nice work. I am VERY interested in your kits if and when you get them ready. I have at least three other people (and probably more) interested in these 650R trikes if I can get the E start on them. Please keep me in mind when you're ready to offer these up.

almamyf

Hello Wayne I am very interested in getting one of those electric starters. Can you please tell me if you can build me one? Please Email me.

wayne_demonja

I'm working on these kits and we all know the holidays are here so it will slow some of the stuff down, but I will keep info updated as quick as I can. Thanks guys!

partybarge_pilot

Irony, digging through some old stuff at work today I came across one of the starter motors for the kits. No other parts though.........