• Forum membership has its advantages....

Element Fire Extinguisher?

desertspeed

I know this should prob be in the Shop section but not much activity there. I came across this by accident today- does anyone have any experience with these?

Element - Fire Extinguishers

If they work as advertised, they could be way better than carrying multiple heavy extinguishers while racing. They are a little expensive at $80 each, and their website doesn't say anything about refilling (but I assume they can't be).

Lots of good info here: Frequently Asked Questions . Safe to breathe, no mess, no servicing, only 0.8 lbs each, etc. We had a flash trans fire at SilverState and the clean up was a bitch, so these are very appealing. You could also mount them in places with better access to the driver/co driver.

Would love to hear an experts opinion and find out how to get them approved by racing orgs if they are superior to traditional extinguishers.

Big Whitey

Hey Gumby. Heading to mud sharks now for pizza and A (yea rite) beer. Meet me there. It’s 630 heading there now. New one at the brewery not old original

GBRACER

looks pricy for a little thing that emmits smoke and chokes the fire out different way of thinking must cost nothing to make ..

CMA GUMBY

Hey Gumby. Heading to mud sharks now for pizza and A (yea rite) beer. Meet me there. It’s 630 heading there now. New one at the brewery not old original
Sorry dude. Down in Phoenix with family. Doing Nascrap this weekend. Need to get together soon. Thanks for the invite.🍻

jon coleman

no ' ul', sfi?, fia? rating, no?, i would run a couple anyways to augment my ' score leagal' set up, powder 'abc' ext.Are messy& highly corrosive, yuk.....

Last edited:
Sand works well, readily available at most desert racing venues. If you lack a shovel, your helmet makes a handy alternative.

51rcr

Or just get a really really good fire extinguisher. Or 2 or 3. Whats a desert racer cost? This stuff makes me think of all the old time good stuff that fell or was tossed in in glass bottle. But it wasnt healthy. These are supposed to be.
AKE - Fire Extinguishers and Fire Safety Company
Them and the red rocket mounts it doesn't get much better. I plan to have 2 and iam poor. which is why i have one old halon bottle, 2 foam bottles, a plumbed co2 bottle and 2 regular extinguishers. Generally if ya crash it ya can fix it. Fire is one of the few things that will destroy a whole vehicle. Oh and personal safety. No fire trucks a few hundred feet away like most racing.

Bro_Gill

Couple of things. This is basically using the same idea that Halon type extinguishing did. It will work under the right conditions. Fire is small, probably most efficient in a confined space. It removes available oxygen by creating a chemical reaction that absorbs the available oxygen available to the fire in the atmosphere faster than the fire would consume it, depriving the fire of oxygen and stopping the combustion process. BUT. It take the oxygen out of the atmosphere, just like Halon did, which makes it NOT a safe environment to be in to breath. Just like Halon. Also, it does not cool what was burning, so whenever oxygen returns to the area, you can get re-ignition if the fuels have not been cooled or removed. I also doubt it will work with any kind of wind condition since the wind would continue to move oxygen into the oxygen depleted atmosphere. There are multiple types of extinguishing agents for different types of fires because each class of fire creates their own problems. No one extinguishing agent works great with all types of fuels. Race cars really need two types of extinguishing agents, one to stop the burning process and one to cool the hot stuff to prevent further flare-ups. Unfortunately, the second really requires something in the heavier class of extinguishing agents because it has to absorb heat.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I was presented with the Element Fire Extinguisher while in Pahrump in December 2019. I had been asked to demo it and give my impression of it.

My team and I set up a burn pan with 8 oz of a mix of fuel and oil at our shop with flames less than 12' high and what would be considered the fire incipient stage. We lit the extinguisher, and there was first an immediate flare up at least 24" high for 2-3 seconds and then the fire extinguished with the agent. The flare style extinguisher required close contact of less than 2 feet away for effective use.

Pro
It did put out the fire.

Con
I was less than impressed with the distance required to fight the fire
The flare up
The fact that it is single light use
The fact that it requires striking it with a spark like a road flare.

I was asked if I would endorse its use as a replacement for the required extinguishers on race vehicles. I will not in anyway for several reasons. It will not be allowed in Best in the Desert or any other series we are responsible for as a replacement. It can be carried as a supplemental but a car will not pass tech without the required standard fire extinguishers.

We only had one unit to demo and therefore were not able to check other fluids or amounts. In no way do we want people taking the choice to light an oxygen suppressing agent in a race vehicle. Get out and fight the fire from outside whenever possible. You are more important than any race car.

The other point to consider is in many cases those around you are the ones that may grab an extinguisher and use it as you are working on egress from a fire. It may be a random crew member, a race volunteer or random spectator. Having them not know its process vs a common extinguisher can play a very real role in a fire going past the incipient stage and unable to contain.

I tried to upload the video we took of the demo but it would load correctly.

Jack

I was presented with the Element Fire Extinguisher while in Pahrump in December 2019. I had been asked to demo it and give my impression of it.

My team and I set up a burn pan with 8 oz of a mix of fuel and oil at our shop with flames less than 12' high and what would be considered the fire incipient stage. We lit the extinguisher, and there was first an immediate flare up at least 24" high for 2-3 seconds and then the fire extinguished with the agent. The flare style extinguisher required close contact of less than 2 feet away for effective use.

Pro
It did put out the fire.

Con
The flare up

I was asked if I would endorse its use as a replacement for the required extinguishers on race vehicles. I will not in anyway for several reasons. It will not be allowed in Best in the Desert or any other series we are responsible for as a replacement. It can be carried as a supplemental but a car will not pass tech without the required standard fire extinguishers.

We only had one unit to demo and therefore were not able to check other fluids or amounts. In no way do we want people taking the choice to light an oxygen suppressing agent in a race vehicle. Get out and fight the fire from outside whenever possible. You are more important than any race car.

The other point to consider is in many cases those around you are the ones that may grab an extinguisher and use it as you are working on egress from a fire. It may be a random crew member, a race volunteer or random spectator. Having them not know its process vs a common extinguisher can play a very real role in a fire going past the incipient stage and unable to contain.

Wait, you saw this in the future and came back to tell us about it...….

desertspeed

Pro
It did put out the fire.

Con
The flare up

Thank you- exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Sounded too good to be true.....