• Forum membership has its advantages....

Elite Broncos desert Bronco #025

Race Whore

I'm back at it again building myself another early Ford Bronco for the desert, shows, SEMA and wherever else sounds good. This is my Elite Broncos chassis #025, and as always it'll have some unique stuff on it. With more than 3 decades of desert racing, and messing with Broncos since the mid 70's, I try to find creative ways to make them ride better, improved performance, and just different than others. Stay tuned for some pics of the build as we go along here. Then sometime maybe we'll meet up in the desert. We build a lot of early Broncos at my shop Elite Broncos, so as always it's got to be a good one.

After looking at some real junk box rusted Broncos, I drove to the area of the Rubicon Trail and found my core to build. A 1974 rock crawler. I was ok with bashed in sheet metal as it'll get replaced with fiberglass. Once getting home to So. Calif it went straight to the desert. There I ran it for 2 months. Man, crawling is a slow sport, it's time to frame off it and convert it to a desert truck. Standard items will be coil over and by-pass on long arms in the front, leafs and by-pass in the back, fuel injected small block, automatic, hydro-boost, and of course cage, seats, dash, etc. It'll be a 2 seater than goes to a 3 seater with ease.

Race Whore

F279B6DC-E33E-4739-9906-67AB32EC226C.jpeg
Of course we had to stop at The Folsom Prison since we were passing through.

Last edited:

Race Whore

After bringing it home from the desert, it's teardown time. After a week of stripping it, I brought it to Jeremy Runyen at Frontline Fabrication. There they cut up the bed sides and installed the glass hood, fenders, and bed sides. Then we relocated the fuel filler. A giant order of Bronco parts was placed from Wild Horses 4x4 to spool up for the next round of work.

Race Whore

Shaving off coil buckets, spring hangers, trac bar bracket, shock mounts, and rock slider mounts. Mocking up the Borgeson steering box.
51C9126F-60AA-4AF2-87C5-8F914D0E5420.jpeg

Race Whore

Building custom rear spring hangers, relocating them on the frame for better travel. Finished the new shackles
B983AE71-4CB4-4062-A0E6-1D4E82943CE8.jpeg
019A8E19-18ED-453C-A805-69AA5BEA3BF9.jpeg
5CEF57BF-656F-4893-A27C-E5BCC26C9E8B.jpeg