Emulsion shock questions

lstrong

Reaction
I have a set of frankenstine 3.0 coil carriers that I am going to use on my truck.My question is,if I run these shocks without a reservoir and install a new piston and valving stack,will they work as a shock absorber without reservoirs or a dividing piston?Does this make them emulsion shocks?Money is tight right now and reservoir kits and hoses comes out to 3-400 hundred dollars.Do I have to have a divider piston above the fluid to make it work correctly? If I have to use reservoirs,I am going to leave the shocks gutted(drilled pistons,no shim stack) and install some used 2.5s next to them till I can afford a nice set of 3.0 shocks to go with the coil carriers.Will the 3.0 coil carriers work as a shock absorber without reservoirs and a dividing piston with a new piston and shim stack?

If the question does not make sense sorry.I detached tendons in my wrist and the vicodin makes me loopy.LOL.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
put in a dividing piston and machine the shaft shorter...no longer an emulsion shock.

lstrong

Reaction
So if there is no dividing piston it is an emulsion shock? Does emulsion mean the gas and oil mix?

FABRICATOR

Reaction
So if there is no dividing piston it is an emulsion shock? Does emulsion mean the gas and oil mix?

It would become an emulsion shock. But emulsion shocks do not have pistons that travel the full length of the fluid cavity, like that of an external reservoir shock. In mild use the gas, for the most part, floats above the oil. If the design duty is exceeded, the gas and oil mix and the unit becomes ineffective. For much of any off-road use the gas and oil must remain physically separated, which means having an internal or external reservoir.

lstrong

Reaction
Thank you very much for the tutorial.In my estimation I think it would be most cost effective to just use these coil carriers as coil carriers and use a cheep 2.5 shock as the damper until I can afford something nicer.Thanks