Encosed trailer or open trailer

volks 73

Pros and cons of towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer vs a 18 foot open trailer. I have the option to take either one for the NORRA 1000 this year. More security w/the enclosed , a little less on the road w/the open. What are you ,or have you towed to Cabo. Thanks

Jack

Open one is nice to be able to see thru
Closed one is nice so crooks can not see in.

Mark Stahl

No trailer. We flat tow the BFG, Fillmore Ford. It saves us from the hassle of having to tow an empty trailer all the way to Cabo. We just disconnect the driveshaft, hook up the tow bar and are ready to go. I know this won't work for everyone but it works for us.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1396877596.847655.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

GDRBORETIRED

Open trailer - they know what they are getting and might just take the car. Closed trailer - they may not know what they are getting but they get it ALL!

rickosuave1987

We are towing an open 18 foot trailer. Less wind drag for 1200+ miles means better fuel economy.

Team Todo En

I've towed both and I would tow an enclosed if I had the choice. It's more secure all around - on the highway you don't have to worry about your crap coming loose and blowing off, and at night you don't have to stand guard (as much) and make sure your stuff is safe. It's also nice to be able to get out of the weather if there's a chubasco brewing as well.

The reality is if they want it they will get it regardless of which trailer you have. You just have to go there with realistic expectations.

ONE_RJ

which ever you choose, bring spare bearings, hubs, springs, shackles, equalizer,studs & lug nuts, 3 spare tires and you probably wont need any of it; but if you don't , you will need all of it.
P.S. check your lugs often and make sure you have a good strong hitch and good brakes.

Anders Green

If everything goes well, you'll think "Man, it was sweet having this enclosed trailer!"

If something goes poorly, you'll think "Man, I'm so glad this 80 mile trip into the rugged desert is with an open trailer!"

So it's really which of those two you're willing to give up. ;)

I can tell you that the vast majority of folks are using open trailers. Of 150 entries last year... did I see even five enclosed trailers at BOLA or further? I don't remember any. I think I saw a couple in Loreto.

Anders

Zambo

Mark, I hadn't considered flat towing, that looks like a nice setup. I've never flat towed before, is it pretty easy? Did you have auxiliary brakes?

Last edited:

bajabird

Trailers last year (like mine) got eaten up on the road to Cocos Corner.
Flat bed for sure... Like RJ said... Bring spares and spares. Check your everything before leaving anyplace someone coulda messed with it. INCLUDING GAS STATIONS

Broncodawg

Bring two spare leaf packs for the trailer and I'll never take another trailer (that I value) through Coco's again...haha! Mount them up under the trailer and out of the way until needed.

Zambo

I borrowed a tow bar, got it hooked up to the Humungus, and flat towed it around Escondido today.

Worked like a charm. Leaving the trailer home.

GoLeft

Towing a trailer in Mexico - a short video. Obstacles include cars passing, passing cars, passing trucks, narrow roads, semi-trucks, potholes, bushes, guardrails, cement road markers, and construction detours. Can't wait to go back.

rickosuave1987

I was definitely WAY more stressed towing the trailer back north than I ever was driving the racecar south... Some of those truckers were WAY over the center line coming around corners. North of Santa Rosalia was one of the scarier parts. One of the locals told us they call that mountainous section "The Infernal Highway"...

But gladly, we made it home without issues!

volks 73

Couldn't agree more. I'm thinking about making a trailer that is 7 1/2 feet wide. Also glad we took an open trailer instead of the inclosed.

Lord Green

Returned with an open trailer with the car up through Coco's - 40 miles of 18 MPH washboard. Now we're gong back to BOLA with a open trailer to bring back the blown chase truck - through Ensenada!

BajaBronco

We offloaded the Bronco for the 40 miles of Cocos area and then got lazy on the pavement and just drove it all the way San Felipe. Must be a real drag with the rig on the trailer, so don't blame you for going Ensenada.