Engine book

J_Dog

Reaction
Anyone now where I can get the book "How to Build and Modify Ford 60 Degree V-6 Engines" written by Sven Pruett? I actually e-mailed him at Vanir Technologies, but he wrote back the book went out of print earlier this year. I'll even take a used one. I have a Ford 2.8 V-6. Any other book suggestions would help, also. Thanks.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

jeff

Reaction
Try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0879389141/all/ref=dp_pb_a/002-4245556-8904005>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0879389141/all/ref=dp_pb_a/002-4245556-8904005</A>

Aloha

J_Dog

Reaction
Jeff,
Thanks. I did see that previously, but I thought $99 for it was a little steep. Especially when it looks like it originaly sold at $17.95. Anyone out there have a used one for less than $99?

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports

Prater

Reaction
I've been looking for the same book. I wonder if we can get him to do a limited reprint. I'd fell better giving him $50 than giving amazon $99.

-Prater

-Prater

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If you are interested my team will be selling a 2.8 race motor and a spare or two at the end of december. As for the motor, put a good set of rods and pistons in it, custom free floating rockers, offenhauser intake, port match the heads to the intake and exhaust and do a good valve job with new valves and pushrods, cam and thats all your gonna get. The 2.8s dont live with too much work. We have a full race motor and we have a motor with stock bottom end with custom heads as mentioned above and the race motor blows up EVERY time but the stock motor with race heads finishes every race. The stock motor doesnt pull like the race motor for obvious reasons...BUT IT FINISHES EVERY RACE... to finish first you must first finish!!!! If you are set on a 2.8 then you should email kevin@dmsrace.com for more info on the sale of these motors. If it were me and you had a 3 liter limit I would go with a 2.9 and have Raider Engineering build it if you were on a "smaller" budget...Holmes has it in his 7s and it runs like a raped date! If budget is bigger for the motor go with an esslinger...275Hp and 250 ftlbs, no ford V6 under 3 will touch it and most ohv 4 liters wont either.

Heres a response from Sven regarding a 300 HP and 275 ft lbs 4 liter either SOHC or OHV

"First, your power expectations are too high for a pushrod 4.0L. The 4.0L heads simply won't allow the airflow necessary to get there. Therefore, the only engine worth thinking about is the SOHC. Now for the bad news: the SOHC's timing assembly is a nightmare and no cam cores are currently available. Without cams, the engine will not make the power. In any case, there are no aftermarket heads, cranks, etc., for either engine. Fortunately, the stock crank is pretty durable, but the rods and pistons will need to be changed for race quality components. In short, the 4.0L engine is expensive, very expensive, to build into a quality race engine. Our last iteration of off-road pushrod race engines went for 12-15k each due to the large amount of custom componentry we had to make for the engine. Ultimately, it is a game I decided not to play any longer due to the extremely restrictive rules and complete lack of aftermarket enthusiasm."

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

Snmiedo

Reaction
Jeff,

I'll sell you mine for $15 including freight. The book is ok but certainly does not offer much insight and help on the 4.0. Food for thought, one of our customers just built a carburated 4.0 with mild head work, cam change, and custom manifold. I think all said and done it was about $6,500 and the horsepower to the flywheel was about 250HP.

Let me know if you are interested in the book or the engine builder.

Thanks!
Mike Cohen
Race Ready Products
619-691-9171

Prater

Reaction
If Jeff passes on the book I would like a crack at buying from you.

-Prater

-Prater

J_Dog

Reaction
Mike,
I'll take it. I'll PM you about the details. Thanks.

Prater,
Sorry, but I will keep my eye out for another one. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Kris,
The current motor we're running seems to run pretty well and reliable. Like you say, not tons of power though. The guy we bought the truck from won the series points championship last year in VORRA, by finishing consistently. Everyone I talked to before buying the truck, said it was not the fastest but the previous owner finished every race with it. It currently has the Offy intake with a Holley 390 carb, port & polished heads, custom dual fan belt assembly, Griffin radiator, and headers. Does Raider Engineering have a website?

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I dont know about a website, I have jsut heard of good experiences. Like I said earlier...you must first finish in order to finish first. The 2.8 has hardly any bottom end so you need to run it in the 6000-7000 range to get it movin. Gearing plays a big factor in the equation too...look at it as cheap power.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

J_Dog

Reaction
Yeah, not much bottom end. Seems to really start to pick up around 4000 or 4500 rpm. The previous owner told us he kept the redline on the tach at 6000 rpm. Do they seem to run o.k. above that or do you need to have the free floating rocker set-up for that high of rpm's? As far as gearing, we are currently running 4.56's with a mini-spool. Thinking of maybe going to 4.88 or 5.06 for the short course stuff.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports