Engine Burritos

NOODLE

Reaction
I know people have been doing it for years and i have done it before when out in the dezert without a campfire but, Is there really anything unsafe about warming up food on the intake manifold of your truck.?

KitRacer

Reaction
i did a whole pizza once on a cab over semi, it got nice and warm, but you could taste the cardboard. There really isnt much to worry about, especially if the engine isnt running. if it were running, i imagine an exahst leak could cause a little damage

slimjim

Reaction
i saw it on food tv. they cooked a whole meal on a road trip. fish, vegetables, some potatoes even. they just prepared everything ahead of time, then wrapped it up really well in aluminum foil. The food cooked while they were driving. pretty cool.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
They actually now have a device that you can buy that bolts into your engine compartment and holds the food for you, cooking it in the process.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
"Is there really anything unsafe about warming up food on the intake manifold of your truck.? "

Wouldn't the exhaust manifold do a better job?

JasonHutter

Reaction
I would guess that the exhaust manifold would burn a lot of things, not to mention it would be hard to balance any thing on the headers. You would have to build something to be in the area of the headers. We heat-up a lot of our food either on the engine in our fire engine or in the actual fire we are fighting when out working on a large wildland fire.

Jason

sirhk100

Reaction
They have aluminum trays that you clamp on the expansion chamber of a 2 stroke snow mobile that are actually ment for cooking hotdogs. We used them in Idaho a couple years back and damn, it was like heaven!!!! You don't know how good a hot dog is in the snow after a great ride. We just stole a bunch of catchup packages from Burger King and put the buns in our back packs.

Khris

NORCALf150

Reaction
we set a can of un opened chili on the exhaust manifold worked great and tasted fine

TDORSloppy

Reaction
I've reheated a Rally burger by wedging it between the block and the headers on my yota. Drove from flats to olds and it was still there. The top was a little burnt but it was the best damn burger. God I love Rally's.

1992f150

Reaction
once i heated up 2 slices of pizza by arc welding onto the backside of a plate....

tedmales

Reaction
i cooked a steak on a road trip once, just put some onions, and seasoning on the steak, wrapped it in tin foil, like 5 layers, and ate good 6 hours down the road. i ended up putting it close to the turbo on my powerstroke f-350 because it didn't seem to be cooking good. when it started smelling good in the cab i pulled over and ate.

Kbach66

Reaction
There's actually a cookbook out there about cooking under the hood. I think it's called Manifold Destiny or something like that. My dad mounted a cool old metal lunchbox by the valve cover and intake of his CJ7 and when he's out rock crawling he throws some hotdogs, or tortillas with cheese/ham/whatever inside wrapped in foil in the morning, and by afternoon lunch their ready. They really do turn out pretty darn good.

ntsqd

Reaction
"Manifold Destiny" by Chris Maynard & Bill Scheller
Villard books, NY 1989
ISBN 0-375-75140-8

Yes I have a copy, no you can't borrow it.

Recipes are given based on driving distance.

Kbach66

Reaction
I wouldn't let that book out of your site Thom. My dad has a copy and was looking for another for a friend. He couldn't believe they were getting big $$ for them on Ebay.

martininsocal

Reaction
didn't Mike Moores prerunner Trailblazer have a burrito warmer that worked off the Auto trans? It had an aluminum box with some insulation that came up through the floorboard. They would drop the Burritos in, prerun a bit, and eat! It was a way cool car with shower and everything.

AZmiik

Reaction
Just looked on Amazon they want $74 and up for a used copy and $188 for a new copy. All this for a 1998 revision.

Mike

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Wow! I bought that book for Steve Kassanyi (aka Dr Checker) over ten years ago. Found it in a sale bin for less than $5. He was always cookin' Vienna Sausages on the engine while marking the SCORE Baja courses.

Reese

ntsqd

Reaction
$75 for used ? WOW ! Mine was an Xmas present. Would have been about '98