Engine cage, mounting lights

cleartoy

Reaction
So I eliminated my sheetmetal coresupport last weekend. Found it hard to mount the stock lights so i got some Hella 550 rectangulars with 55 watt bulbs.

Anybody have problems with the law running em on the street?

Attachments

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i have seen some trucks that that have that also. id say as long as the adjusted correctly and not gonna blind the cop when hes in front of ya it should be fine 55watt is the street leagl number so what can the do if they dont like it anyway?

tedmales

Reaction
the trouble i had was that they needed to be high and low beams. you could probably use 4 lights like some of the older chevy trucks. they call what you did fog light, not head lights. check the vehicle codes to see what is legal. in az, they have to be hi/low and not be higher than 52" and be seen from 300 feet at dusk. not much but ca is probably harder to please.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
ya they have to be a low/high beam light and the low beam I think was around 35 watts last time I checked...Mike

michael_loomis

Reaction
fab work looks good ... is 55 watts ok ? if they are flood should be fine as long as there not aimed too high. i know stock lamps are 50 watts on lo and 60 watts on hi ... so be careful .

i always wanted to get some factory BENZ (new style S500) or BMW HID's and incorporate those into my grill/fenders on my sonoma , probably be ugly as sin till in grew on ya , but those light patterns come out bitchen with the factory lens's and reflectors.

Jack

Reaction
What you should do is go to a a truck recking yard, and get some head light buckets from a semi. that has remote lights, they are king of a little pod on the fenders, there are diferent styles, but if you look enough you will find single square without the side markers, and they just take a single bolt from the bottom, easy to mount and you can put in a stock head light and be on your way.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
check with Jon krellwitz with the duffco grey toyota. I think he found some dick cepek 4x6 lights that look very close to factory and fill the grill almost perfect.

tedmales

Reaction
i got a set of cans from off road buggy here in yuma that hold a a 5x7 stock headlight. they are high,low and are made for sand buggys and bajas.they look like an off road light. they were like $30 for the set, and i ordered a set of clear plastic headlight from a magazine so i could use a better headlight. works like the champ

DuffcoDan

Reaction
PIAA also has a light that fits well in that opening. I would recomend the driving beam vs. the pencil beam. Don't try the explorer/ pro-comp light. we used it on Jon's truck and they broke apart after one desert trip.