Engine Management Systems....Haltech vs Link

tkr

Reaction
I'm puting together a Subaru EJ20 2.0L Turbo for a sandrail, and I'm trying to decide what EMS to run. The two I'm indecided on are the Haltek E6X and the Link Systems unit. Anyone have any experience with either of these or know of any pros and cons?

Thanks for the help.

KitRacer

Reaction
I know two people that have used the Haltek. Chuck Hovey, and my dad, and they both have had major problems with them. Granted Hovey was using his in a class one, but it still should have held up. His kept cracking the circuit board, and I heard this was happening every race. My dads was having trouble with cooling, just a little warm out and the thing would shut down for a good 15 min. Happened all day long on the last baja 500 prerun. I dont think Hovey runs the Haltek anymore, but my dad still is and is still having major problems. I'm not sure on either model that was being used

tkr

Reaction
Good to know, thanks Eric.

mgobaja

Reaction
Call Steve Dose, he is doing his own thing for an EMS. Seems to work well on the Weyhrich, James, Julson and I think it is what Hovey is now using

TimHayosh

Reaction
I thought Dose specialized in Electromotive? (I have heard nothing but good of both Dose and EM)

For the Link, call Loren at Sand Stallion. He has been putting Links on Sube's for years. 602-214-9071.

geoff

Reaction
haltech is mediocre, link is crap, electromotive is also crap.

Check out Accel DFI version 7, SpeedPro/Federal Mogul F.A.S.T, Motec m4 or Autronic.

They are reasonably priced, extremely durable, and easy to tune and datalog with.

desertracer

Reaction
We have Motec and have been very happy with it, just make sure you have somebody who knows how to set it up correctly and you will be fine. Motec is a bit expensive but worth it in the end. I know quite a few guys run electromotive and are happy with that too.

SLR

Reaction
Whats the problem with TEC 3 from Electromotive???

tkr

Reaction
Stopped by a Subaru booth at the Sand Sports Show today and saw a Motech system that was very close to the price of a Haltech or Link. I think I'll look into that one a little more.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Elecromotive has more race wins in off-road than just about anything. Call Steve Dose ant Leathal Does injection. If you buy the system from him he will give you a good dyno rate. He is very into these systems and does a great job. I would talk to him. I will try to post a number in the morning.

tkr

Reaction
Thanks Jerry!

Jim_Dizney

Reaction
Lethal Dose
(619) 449-3835
215 Denny Way, El Cajon Ca.

You're right on the money, Steve knows the
Electromotive system inside and out.

TimHayosh

Reaction
Geoff, could you elaborate on why you have a negative opinion of ElectroMotive?