• Forum membership has its advantages....

Engine Running Lean and Sputtering Under Load

RedRide

Had engine issues after 100 miles of driving down in Mexico. Engine missing under load and running very lean. Exhaust got hot enough to melt insulation guard while limping it home. Engine temp never exceeded 200 degrees. Vehicle is stock except for an IMS auxillary fuel tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

MXShea

MX know-it-all
Is this one of the reasons guys buy fuel controllers for these?

You might have to post on UTV Underground to get responses.

You should post back here what you find though, I want to get one some day and have lots of questions.

PS. Joey, will there be a mobile app??

JoeyD23

Had engine issues after 100 miles of driving down in Mexico. Engine missing under load and running very lean. Exhaust got hot enough to melt insulation guard while limping it home. Engine temp never exceeded 200 degrees. Vehicle is stock except for an IMS auxillary fuel tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would start by looking and checking the Injector Wires. 2014 and some early 2015 units were affected by bad injector wire connectors. Usually what happens when those go bad is the machine will begin to sputter and cut out. In some cases the car will all of sudden feel normal then quickly do it again.

Also, you can try and swap ECUs with another 1000 running good and rule out that your ECU just took a crap on you.

Like MXShea said, you may get more info at UTVUnderground.com/forum

Slippery P

Sounds like dirty Mexican fuel has clogged what ever type of fuel filter these things are equipped with.
Start with the simple things first.

RedRide

First thing I tried. No change at all.

Funny thing is that the owner received a recall letter with 4 issues pertaining to hot exhaust and fuel venting issues. We will see what they find when he brings it in.

Slippery P

The injectors could also have a bunch of crap in them.

RedRide

Pulled the injectors and they were working fine.

Heard it could be a clogged spark arrester/exhaust. Pulled the entire muffler and and still ran bad.

Checked the fuel tank vent line and seemed to clear out/flow fine.

Checked the fuel pressure at the rail and all was good.

I basically checked all of the standard mechanical elements and couldn't find any issues.