Engine swap?

nelson979

Reaction
How many hours should it take a mechanic to swap an engine out of a class one rear engine buggy. I got a quote for 20 hrs. That seems ridiculous to me

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mgobaja

Reaction
Just for a 100% swap ? So the new unit is known to fit right in ? no parts swapping, fluid flushing, nothing else ?

mgobaja

Reaction
I can not see it taking more than a full day, especially if they have ever worked on that car before

mgobaja

Reaction
But if things like PS pumps / Alternators / Exhaust / intake all have to be swapped or removed for the swap to happen, that all takes time as well

Slippery P

Reaction
Coming from a mechanic, 20hrs actually sounds about right to me.
Could it be done in a day? Sure, but what are your expectations?
Do you expect things that maybe aren't "right" but work to just be reassembled?
You have to remember that more often than not it is not as easy as just plucking the engine out stabbing the new one in and hooking up a few connectors and hose fittings. There are ALWAYS things that go wrong, and there are always uneccesary things that need to be removed for access.
Remember you get what you pay for.

Moss2

Reaction
He may be quoting "man hours". Two guys and a long day =20hrs of payroll to make. Of course if it was right before a race they wanted to go to it could be three hours but probably lots of guys.

DeRaRa

Reaction
A couple of years ago myself and two friends spent an entire Saturday from 7am to 5pm replacing a motor in a friends 12 car. 20hrs sounds like a bargain to me. Seemed like everything was an issue from removing the rear cage to getting the motor to line up properly on the way back in. Off course a few beers where consumed but after that we told him to pay someone next time.