Engine Test stand, resistance for tuning, lamda dyno, dynamometer load

johnowhite

Reaction
It seems that all my engines like 12.3 to 12.7 air to fuel for the max useable power, under load.

I have a air fuel sensor/reader and would like to put a load on the engine to set the air/fuel mixture.

I'd like to set the jetting before it gets in the car, but need a load on the engine to get close.

I built a stand to run the engine and can fit a driveshaft into a clutch plate.

Any pictures or suggestions on how to put a load on the engine so I can set the air/fuel mixture using a lamda sensor set up to work with a computer?

I don't need and engine dyno, I don't think, just a way to put a controllable load on the engine.

johnowhite

Reaction
I did, gave them a call and for $10,000 they can hook me up.....But I was looking for something a little more asset conservative.

Here are some of the choices.....put a disc brake on the output shaft....This is simple and doable and is probably what should be tried first.

Put a torque converter on the output shaft.....How do you do that without getting fluid all over? Then would you put a brake on the torque converter output shaft?

Hook the output shaft up to a water pump....This could be calibrated and a real power output based upon flow or restrictions could be put together....This could get complex, but could also be simple.

What I think I want is to put a load on the engine, not to figure horsepower, but to tune it.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I would suggest pursuing the water pump (also known as a water brake) route. . .this is what we used to run marine engines on dry land (can't go into any further than that. . .sorry).

I don't know exactly how they were set-up because I never saw inside of them, but I know that's what we used.

Hope that helps a little. . .I know it's not much, but hopefully it will get you on the right track.

I would think that if you had an appropriately sized water pump to run off the engine that you could use a replaceable restrictor plate (different sized orifices to control the amount of resistance to flow) to set the appropriate load on the engine.

I'm not sure if you would want a centrifugal pump which would have a variable flow rate or a positive displacement pump which would be theoretically require more power to produce the same flow rate against a greater resistance to flow.

This is where I would start. . .actually kinda peaked my curiosity now that I typed that stuff!