Engine/trans rake..... Is it worth it?

Motoren

Reaction
I am running an older chassis with no rake in the engine/trans and the back of the car is always bottoming out. I have been all over the board with torsions and I don’t feel like I am driving it too hard. The pan under the shift cover is 1.5 inches lower than the belly pan and the pan under the case is 3 inches lower. Is it worth the time to put some rake in the back of the chassis? How much are new cars running?

BUDMAN975

Reaction
Torsion Bar only adjust the ride height. Of course if you crank the bar up so much it will put so much bind into the rear suspension and make it stiffer. This is one of the biggest problems people run into when they try to set up a car. Let the torsion bar adjust the height and let the shock handle the bumps. Try adding 2 thicker shims on the bottom of the stack on the compression side of the piston this will keep the bottom of the car from getting beat up.

Motoren

Reaction
When I said all over the board I meant torsion bar sizes, running 28mm now. So its not worth redoing the back half of the chassis?

Johnson954

Reaction
We were pretty flat before and went to 7 degrees on the angle of the transmission/motor and it makes a HUGE difference! The car hardly ever touches the ground now, and it works so much better.

BuggyTuneUp2.jpg

BUDMAN975

Reaction
I cannot say if it is worth it to change the back of your car I was trying to give some insight and advice to try something before you changed too much on the chassis. I can say that the back of my old car has no rake on the cage. the engine and transmission are set a bit higher on the rear.

Motoren

Reaction
Ya, my engine and trans seem to hang ridiculously low. I will play with my shocks some more before I break out the sawzall.

scottys-misfits

Reaction
when you do break out the saw check around with other builders on what degree works best.when we built our car we went through a large style bottle of jack before the nine car gods gave us a sign from above.to much angle you will hit the torsion housing ,to little angle you hit the engine .im pretty sure we went with about 4.5 degrees.

Motoren

Reaction
After weighing my options I have decided to just build a new 2 seat chassis. I did some searching around and found conflicting arguments on 1” webbing being score legal. Can I run 1”? If so does it have to be .120? Obviously the main cage will be .120 1.5" DOM. I don’t plan on racing score but I would like to keep my options open.

ACME

Reaction
No 1" in the occupant/cab area. C nutz, careful what you wish for he's a Trisexual... When are you off filling your days and night with seaman?