• Forum membership has its advantages....

Engine ?

racetrash

Been slowly working on my 9 I just got, collecting parts, and while looking at the MORE rules i saw that "doghouse 36 hp shrouds not allowed". well what are you guys using, as my car has a d/h 36 shroud. Pete

Bro_Gill

There was no such thing as a 36hp doghouse stock from VW, that's why. You can use a 36hp shroud. You can use a dog house shroud. As long as they are factory shrouds. That is the point of that rule.

doug969

At one point MORE and SNORE changed the rules and allowed any shroud both OEM and aftermarket. Not sure if they changed the rule book or not. Cody is on here from MORE and im sure will chime in. OEM D/H is the best IMO, just cut off the heater ducts on the front to make it look cleaner and gives you better access when dressing out the engine. If you can find a THING shroud those are nice and they don't have the ducts from the factory.

elmariachi

The stock/OEM dog houses are more efficient at cooling than the aftermarket stuff. I think if you search Samba you'll find some discussion on the subject or you can see the following link: Back .

The aftermarket/cool/Chinese-junk set-ups don't take into account how important the internal fins are. VW worked it all out - not bad for a car that was designed before fancy computer modeling was commonplace

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Yep. Most chinese crapola doesn't have the proper cooling wings inside the shroud. VW spent millions working that stuff out. Back in the day, cars got disqualified for cutting the corner off the outer cooling tin to help clear the valve cover breather lines. I don't think it is like that these days, but better to measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

doug969

Yep. Most chinese crapola doesn't have the proper cooling wings inside the shroud. VW spent millions working that stuff out. Back in the day, cars got disqualified for cutting the corner off the outer cooling tin to help clear the valve cover breather lines. I don't think it is like that these days, but better to measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

Your "allowed" to trim for vent tubes but must be within "reason" ... hahahah the rules like that are so stupid its funny. You should be able to remove the cylinder tin at the valve cover just so you can actually remove the valve cover without dropping junk into the head.

Bro_Gill

I hear you. I am just relating that sometimes, the rules cab be a bitch for someone. I am still surprised there weren't big fist fights at teardown and post race back in those days.

Bro_Gill

Maybe I should have said Mohr fist fights? jajaja. I remember a couple claims that came close to it, with threats of murder, but those gays are still alive and racing, so it was all good. How are the class 9 guys ever gonna get as big as NASCAR without some redneck style infield fights on TV?

Mohr

Riiiight...LOL....I just played by the rules, and apparently some people took offense..and to be clear, I claimed Jeff Carrs, and DAN OWEN claimed Kisners....I was driving for Dan ....

ACME

Joel, you were "involved" in 20 of the 3 claims?

When we bought Andy's car he was still pissed...

Mohr

Involved? not in Dans..I just happened to be driving for him when he decided to "get back" at Kisner for a punt at another race....but EVERONE condemned me and said that I put the bug in Dans ear. Not so.....

Maxwell_99

Love when this topic comes up ha. Love class 9 but some of these rules are ridiculous. If someone wanted to DQ me because I trimmed to much of my tin shroud or ran an aftermarket dog house fan shroud I'd be pissed. That's not why people win nor does it help with cost.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ACME

Update to:

1) A realistic claimer price
2) Open up the cooling tin to whatever trimming and available aftermarket/stock VW concept you want
3) Relax the trans rules slightly

Soapbox:I have no skin in this game but... Having raced this class for years, having a huge soft spot in my heart for it and having numerous friends that have run, ran and are still in it. The rules have always been hit/miss as has enforcement and the fact is: Tech has been historically inconsistent with this class.

We've seen cars weighed with tools, jacks, spares and fuel and watched purple fuel get pumped out of one car, questionable carb/manifold mods and have never seen them ask to make sure the fuel cell was empty. We know one engine builder for some guys WAAAAYYYY down south that told us that they had built a few 1641 & 1776's for guys. God forbid they proactively pull out a tape measure, the scales or randomly or pull a head. But if your tin is trimmed or you win too often...

We also know for a fact that 3 of the ingredients in Frannncois hair products are banned in the USA.

With that said: I think the guys running MORE/SNORE are legit but it would be a solid step to see better techs and a few rules updated to reflect current costs and that really don't alter the class.