Engineer?

prerun15

Reaction
Who has engineering degrees here on RDC? When I read through the posts in the shop section it seems like we have a bunch of engineers here. If you do have an engineering degree then I was just wondering where you went to school and where you work now. I am a senior at SDSU studying mechanical engineering and its about time that I start thinking about what I want to do after school so I was just wondering what the fellow RDC members are doing. Thanks.

atpalmer

Reaction
Cal Poly Pomona, ME. Iv'e alwalys worked as a process/chemical engineer since graduation though. Don't limit your choices to just Mechanical careers.

Motiracer38

Reaction
Cal State Northridge Mechanical Engineer here. Working as manufacturing engineer for an aerospace company by day, and designing off-road parts by night.

prerun15

Reaction
Anyone have any suggestions for a summer internship in so cal area?

BenDotCom

Reaction
Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon, Cubic Defense, etc. Given the current economic conditions, I say GET WHAT YOU CAN TAKE! Jobs in the off road industry are hard to come by these days, try getting into corporate America and build yourself a strong foundation considering you will have a respectable degree! Good luck with the rest of your senior year at SDSU!

prerun15

Reaction
Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon, Cubic Defense, etc. Given the current economic conditions, I say GET WHAT YOU CAN TAKE! Jobs in the off road industry are hard to come by these days, try getting into corporate America and build yourself a strong foundation considering you will have a respectable degree! Good luck with the rest of your senior year at SDSU!
Thanks!

Motiracer38

Reaction
I'm a CSUN ME as well.
How's HR treating you Brian?
It's going great, awesome company to work for.

HRTextron hires summer interns as well. We are in Valencia so it's close to Simi! We just got bought and changed the name to Woodward HRT, but it might not be too early to call and inquire.

socalmoto

Reaction
Cal poly slo BSME. Im building some race trucks right now, but not really any money.

Erik Irvine

Reaction
I have a B.S.M.E., and I work in the welding engineering department at San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant near San Clemente, CA. We (the entire company) hire interns every summer, and four are coming from SLO this summer. Nothing off-road related, but a lot of stuff I learn at work relates to the garage at night. Here is my companies link for the college program;

http://www.edison.com/careers/college.asp

Hope that helps!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I know that Polaris has a EDP or 'engineering development program,' for recent engineering gratuates. Unfortunately this program is only in Minnesota, but the good news is that, if you are accepted you are hired on as a EDP (obviously paid) and do four six month rotations in different areas (eg product design, testing, product planning, etc) of engineering for two years. After that you are brought into a certain engineering field in the company. They mostly hire from the midwest, but I would guess they would entertain top candidates from anywhere. Designing Rangers, RZR's, ATV's, Snowmobiles and Victory motorcycles wouldn't be such a bad gig. If interested you can call 763 542-0500 ask for HR and ask for information about their EDP program.

Red_beard

Reaction
I know that Polaris has a EDP or 'engineering development program,' for recent engineering gratuates. Unfortunately this program is only in Minnesota, but the good news is that, if you are accepted you are hired on as a EDP (obviously paid) and do four six month rotations in different areas (eg product design, testing, product planning, etc) of engineering for two years. After that you are brought into a certain engineering field in the company. They mostly hire from the midwest, but I would guess they would entertain top candidates from anywhere. Designing Rangers, RZR's, ATV's, Snowmobiles and Victory motorcycles wouldn't be such a bad gig. If interested you can call 763 542-0500 ask for HR and ask for information about their EDP program.
They pretty much only hire out of the baja sae series... The school i attend is pretty close with polaris, and we've been told the HR people will track students through their 4-5 years in college and participation in the baja series.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
They pretty much only hire out of the baja sae series... The school i attend is pretty close with polaris, and we've been told the HR people will track students through their 4-5 years in college and participation in the baja series.
They may track the sae thing, but I know it isn't a requirement. I know people who have been through the program without working on baja sae or the formula sae. It certainly is a plus when interviewing though. :)

properprerunner

Reaction
Graduated from ASU with a BSME. Work at one of many Honeywell sites here in the vally of the sun. Have worked with Orbital (Here in Phoenix), Ratheon (Tucson), United Technologies ( Hamilton Sunstran (cali), Pratt Whitney (Conn), Rocketdyne (Cali)), Boeing (Long Beach, Seattle), Lockeed Martin (Cali and Tex).

Internship is a good route as it gives your potential employer a chance to see your work ethic before making a comitment to hire.

Good luck.

kwood

I'm a believer
Reaction
I'm a first year EE at UCI right now, thinking about switching to ME though, can't decide.