engines?

hoeker

Reaction
so i have the excellent opportunity to buy an engine from roush racing for my new pro-2. the engine will be anywhere from fresh to 400 race miles on it. they build engines for many series. i was wondering if you guys knew what some of the specific engine differences are between classes?

my options are:
craftsman truck engine
winston west engine- only 9.5 : 1 comp
arca
or they have one bonneville salt flats engine, but it's 372 cid, i want to stay under 360cid.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

martininsocal

Reaction
Ross- it depends on the series the engine came out of. The Truck engine and flats engine, if they havebeen run, are probably due for a rebuild. Most of the high dollar teams build an engine to last just for the required mileage plus testing and qualifying. So if they make that mark, they have used up their life span. The ARCA engine might be a better deal since that series is a little lower on the cost scale and teams don't neccessarily get back to a shop every week or have multiple cars to run every week. That motor mat be able to run a few races between teardowns. Ask the builder and also get a motor built closest to your needs. You may not need the 9000 RPM high HP motor from the truck that has no bottom end but the ARCA motor that slugs around in the muck and goes from 3000 to 6500 rpms every friday and saturday night might be the ticket.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

NicksTrix

Reaction
you should find out if it's a cup,truck or busch motor. there are some major diffrences in them. one of the biggest being camshaft. cup cars can't run a roller as the others can. the solid camshaft and lifters have a very short life. the valve train in either of them is short lived as well. both are big ticket items.
if the motor is available on the open market it is more than lkely a number of years old and very outdated, i'd bet a rebuild is due too.the power curve in a oval motor is very diffent that one for a desert truck.
if you need to rebuild it, you can pretty much count you be putting these items into it:
pistons, valve train, seats & guides,camshaft, rings, bearings, and maybe rods. so you can about figure you'll really just be buying a block, crank if it is still good, heads, maybe a manifold, either a timing belt or chain, water pump, dry sump pan and a pump, along with some lines.
i work in a motor shop for a major nascar team now, and when they sell a motor off, it can be fresh, but it is about 3-4 years obsolete in our terms. that's whqt a number of the arca guys might get, and then run it for a while.
if you need parts you might be better to buy up each part from a good used supplier if you want a used motor. that way you can put something together that will truely work for your application and get some more cu in out of it.you could pick up a good long stroke crank, a block that can continue to bore and go from there..
i can give you the names of some suppliers out here that have all kinds of used parts from the teams if you'd like. pennies on the dollar in the big picture. let me know if i can help
be good nick

hoeker

Reaction
i was more confident in the complete engine vs parts because they can tell me how many race miles every part in the engine has on it. i also want to stay at 358 CID., believe it or not. this will be for a CORR pro-2 and i plan on making minimum weight(3600lbs), which means i need to stay small CID(360). i'm paying too much money just to get the parts you mentioned, so i need to find some confidence in what i'm buying. i definately don't want something 3-4 years old. if you can send me the info of the used parts houses, i'd appreciate it.

interesting on the roller cam rule.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
ross,

A friend of mine used to work for a race engine shop in las vegas. he told use they built the engines for bredan gaughns craftman truck team his bush deal and his winston cup attempts last year. he also said they built engines for some of the desert race teams also cant remeber the teams though. Also this same guy used to work at rancho preformmance machine where the herman motorsports engines were built. i can try to get the names and numbers to these places if youdlike.

Gregg

martininsocal

Reaction
Ross- Do CORR rules sepcify whattype of block you need to use? i.e. regular production or race production or anything at all... I believe many of the blocks you find from cup cars are considerd race production and may not hit the manufacturers numbers needed to qualify as a production motor. I believe the arca motors have to be based on street production blocks. Also, do you have to use cast iron or can you use aluminum?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

hoeker

Reaction
we have to be iron. other than that i thought it was open. the rule leaves room for interpretation, like many poorly written rule books. i was looking at siamese blocks from DART and Ford racing, if i go new.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshork.com>www.rosshork.com</A>

NicksTrix

Reaction
a good place to start for engine parts and other used goodies from the guys around here( chlt nc area)
muscle motorsports 704 948 1040 or toll free 1 877 6MUSCLE.
another local source would be dave jensen ent at 1800 251 8254, talk to howard, tell him nick sent you...

there is another fellow that sells alot of the parts we sell off. look on ebay under robert yates, the seller is out of maine and has a number of goodies that are ford related, some really good deals there. he's got a ton of our old titanium valves for sale cheap. you could cut some of those down and save a ton.
email me personally if you need some more help or have any questions.
good luck
nick

hoeker

Reaction
i've used muscle in the past. those guys are great to deal with. thanks for the other 2 contacts i'll check them out too. was the one on ebay JRmotorsports? i saw they had a bunch of stuff on there, especially TI valves, cheap. seamed like mostly chevy stuff though.

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
So you're saying Cup motors are solid lifter and not roller? How can that be, and why? Doesn't seem to make any sense.

#817 CORR Stock

Bill Schmitt

NicksTrix

Reaction
yup cup motors are solid. it adds a huge amount of expense to the costs. cam shafts get only one race, even with all the trick stuff we do to them to get them to last. we make our our lifters so thtey'll live.. a roller cam, you just throw it in and go, no break in...
why, ask nascar. it's their show, we just come to race.