220 CHET HUFFMAN

STOCK MINI 1
760 BOB LAND

STOCK FULL: 1
860 JOHN GRIFFIN

Score International Off-Road Racing 2002

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
Apparently the drawing doesn't mean much. Sal has a statement on his site that all classes with 15 or more entries may have to qualify for starting position. I am curious why he decided to do this after receiving everyone's entry fees and after the drawing was over.

firedog

Reaction
maybe to provide more action for the fans. It would be exciting to watch 2 vehicles battle it out at the same time for 1 lap around the infield (I don't know if that would be the format for qualifing, just guessing) however as a racer I can also relate to all the things that could go wrong during this 1 lap qualifing run and potentially end your race weekend early.

JasonHutter

Reaction
I can see where Mark is coming from though. As it sits right now, he will be on the front row on Saturday, a lot less dust to deal with. If he didn't know this already before he is told he has to qualify, it would be easier to take. Now he may have to go and fight for the position he already has.

Jason

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
I am really in disagreement with the way it was handled. It reminds me of when they told everyone they had to run 76 Racing Fuel after they had already received their entries.

If Sal goes ahead with his plan to do qualification runs, we will not field our car at the event. If we had known up front he would be doing qualification runs, we would not have entered. We do not have a car that excels in short course situations.

I also do not feel that running just a short course qualification section is a good representation of who is fastest on the entire course. If he is going to have qualifying, he should make everyone run one entire lap.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Mark are you running Parker?

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
Yes. We will be fielding cars in Class 1500 and 1000 at Parker. I have similar concerns about the Parker event qualifying, but from what I understand the qualifying course will be a mixture of terrain that is a good representation of the entire course.

Qualifying is exciting and I think it is a generally cool idea. It is just difficult to get enough of a mix of terrain to make sure one type of vehicle doesn't get screwed. Take a look at the Nevada 2000. My brother qualified number one out of all entries because the qualifying course was tight and we had a light and nimble car with relatively little horsepower (we had the SCAT in the car). This was great for us, but I would imagine that all the trucks with 700+ hp were bummed when they had to sit in our dust on all those long fast roads across the Valley of Fire.

What I am mostly tired of is this changing the game in mid-stream. It opens up the issue for debate...why was the change made at all, let alone after the drawing? SCORE took the time to send out a press release talking up their "Computerized Drawing" for start positions. Then, when the results of said drawing were complete, they decide they may not use them. Forgive me, but I do not see the logic in that.

The event was sold to potential competitors under the premise of a "Random" draw for start position. It should be delivered as such.

martininsocal

Reaction
Mark- here is another issue- are cars going to qualify in race trim? It does make a difference. If the qualifier is just around the infield, does anyone remember the little 1600 shortcourse car that ran in class 10? I think it was 2 years ago. He was spanking folks in teh infield, only for them to have to deal with his dust out on the course to try and chase him down. If Sal wants to run Prologues, it should be announced before he takes any entry fees. I am not against the idea, but to change it after the fact is misrepresentation, especially after a draw!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Junior

Reaction
Class 8's entered so far = 5
Protrucks entered so far = 6

Makes you go hmmmmm.

Junior
EJR Racing Trophy Truck #44
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ejrracing.com>http://www.ejrracing.com</A>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Whats this "hmmmmmmm" business all about??!!! Are you saying that Protrucks are starting to fade in appeal?

See ya in the dirt!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Hmmm, Maybe the politics involved in keeping the class going for the PRO organization is taking it's toll on the racers. If this is so, it would be a shame.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Sykes sold the Protruck stepped up to class 8.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
He bought into Westham's "TT" but the mechanic wrecked it at the LV 200. This is the first I have heard of him driving a class 8. Which truck is it? I guess I'll call him and ask.

See ya in the dirt!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I KNOW THIS MUCH I WOULDNT BE TO HAPPY WITH SOMETHING THAT I WAS SPENDING OVER $100,000.00 DOLLARS TO BE TOLD WHAT I CAN AND CANT DO WITH WHAT I BOUGHT I THINK PRO TUCKS WILL FADE AWAY JUST LIKE THE NISSAN CUP THE MINI MAGS AND SO ON REGULATED RULES SUCK SO WE WILL SEE HOW MUCH LONGER IT WILL LAST I KNOW THIS BARLOW IS GOING TO CORR AND RACE ALSO SO WHAT IS HE GOING TO DO WITH HIS PRO TRUCK BUT WE WILL SEE

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
To not even be able to change something as simple as fuel inlet location for gassing up is ludicrous!!!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

pciscott

Reaction
There are always politics involved in whatever class your in. As of late brakes on a 1600 car and motor size of a 7s come to mind. I raced Protruck for 5 years and while I did bump heads with Ivan on a few occasions, Protruck and its competitors gave me many years of fair and competitive racing. I was also impressed with there year end pay out this year: 1st Barlow $20,000, 2nd Johnson $8,000, 3rd Hogan $5,000, 4th Hunt $4,000, 5th Reinertson $3,000. I know I spent more and got a whole lot less payback in the class I ran. Ivan and Linda if you ever need a reference for a Protruck sale have them call me, dollar for dollar the Protruck is the fastest, most fun, affordable, competitive, and reliable race car I have ever run. The other thing great about the Protruck series runs all the Score and BITD races along with a few short course tracks, so the racer can pick his favorite races to run for points. I know there are a few good deals to be had on used Protrucks at this time. If you are on the fence, pull the trigger Protruck is a great class and rumor has it that Ivan has a TV deal this year.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

AP255

Reaction
Scott you and I both know that Protruck is a great class. Being so great how do we explain the low turnout for Laughlin? I am VERY disappointed at the drawing results this year! Last year there were fourteen trucks racing. We all want TV coverage and I think that it is great that it could happen. How will the race look on TV with so few trucks competing? It looks to me like teams are willing to pay more and jump right into a trophy truck.

J_Dog

Reaction
Scott,
It's funny that you mention that there is always politics in any class. You are absolutely correct. Every class has its own set of rules. The funny part is that when they are strictly enforced, some people get angry or feel they are being singled out. Racing has always been about pushing the envelope, which usually includes pushing the limits of the rules or interpreting it a different way. It all comes down to responsibility. Lately, people don't want to take responsibility for their actions. They blame everyone else. I call it the "Don't blame me theory". It's like that in everday life, also. Simple solution in racing: follow the rules to the specifics, if not, suffer the consequences (take points away, DQ, etc.). If you're not sure about a rule's meaning or interpretation, call and ask, don't interpret it to fit your specific needs and then whine later when you get called on it. Just my $.02.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA