• Forum membership has its advantages....

Erzberg Rodeo

nickybobby333

Anybody going to check out Erzberg this weekend on RedBullTV. Last years coverage was awesome and this year there should be some interesting competitors with some E-bikes and some rally bikes

JDDurfey

Lyndon Poskit was on his way there when his van was broken into during a lunch break and his E bikes were stolen. I think he managed to find another bike and is there.

There is an American from AZ there I believe.

redrdr67

Thanks for the heads up nickybobby333. All of these entrants are nuts!!! Total mad respect for them, especially for the few that finish.

JDDurfey

Cody Webb worked the broadcast booth. The coverage from the race is amazing. Go to Redbulltv and you can watch the replays. They also have an "amateur feed" that doesn't focus on the front runners. The leaders make it look easy, but watching the other guys shows how difficult it really is.

nickybobby333

Such a rad race! They are all pretty impressive how quick they can get threw some of that terrain.

Heartbreaking for Billy Bolt to help out the kid and then get passed and eventually stuck on that hill for some extended time!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

AZ7000'

Looks like Mitch qualified 84th in the prologue and 211 in the final standings. Looks like he was there in 2017 too, those guys are strong!

TwistyItch

Guys I was there! It is epic! Really interesting that outside of the small little village of Eisenerz, and I mean 20km away, nobody knows about the race. I went with my brother and my wife. We were constantly asked why we were in Eisenerz. When we replied to watch the race, they reacted like we discovered a secret easter egg "the race? you came only for the race? who knows about this race outside of Europe?" Serious good time with serious good people. Few Americans and I guess that enhanced the experience for us because people were so glad to see us.
I was there because of my hydration system that Cody had been periodically testing, but he was out and his mechanic was seriously bummed as was Cody when I spoke to him. However what a champion! He sat at the signature table and signed all the autographs people wanted. Plus he was in good spirits even when pressing his mangled fingers at me to inspect - I think they were f'd up from what I could see inches from my face.
Josh, Haaker's mechanic was a stellar individual and was eager to speak to us. He was really a great person to connect with. I have a video of the entire "Raid on Eisenerz" and Josh almost ran right into me as his way of saying 'Hi again!'
We met with such great people and the Austrians are wonderful and ready to host the party.
I have some insight if you want any on how to get around the race next year - let me tell you several people told me "you should have been here 5 years ago". Hey, everything evolves.
Anyway, I am headed to the TKO next August and I think that might be more like the Rodeo was 5 - 10 years ago.
I can't wait. I hope Cody is ready to go by then and it sounds like maybe he will be ready to defend his title.

nickybobby333

Guys I was there! It is epic! Really interesting that outside of the small little village of Eisenerz, and I mean 20km away, nobody knows about the race. I went with my brother and my wife. We were constantly asked why we were in Eisenerz. When we replied to watch the race, they reacted like we discovered a secret easter egg "the race? you came only for the race? who knows about this race outside of Europe?" Serious good time with serious good people. Few Americans and I guess that enhanced the experience for us because people were so glad to see us.
I was there because of my hydration system that Cody had been periodically testing, but he was out and his mechanic was seriously bummed as was Cody when I spoke to him. However what a champion! He sat at the signature table and signed all the autographs people wanted. Plus he was in good spirits even when pressing his mangled fingers at me to inspect - I think they were f'd up from what I could see inches from my face.
Josh, Haaker's mechanic was a stellar individual and was eager to speak to us. He was really a great person to connect with. I have a video of the entire "Raid on Eisenerz" and Josh almost ran right into me as his way of saying 'Hi again!'
We met with such great people and the Austrians are wonderful and ready to host the party.
I have some insight if you want any on how to get around the race next year - let me tell you several people told me "you should have been here 5 years ago". Hey, everything evolves.
Anyway, I am headed to the TKO next August and I think that might be more like the Rodeo was 5 - 10 years ago.
I can't wait. I hope Cody is ready to go by then and it sounds like maybe he will be ready to defend his title.
Man that is awesome to hear! I would love to go check it out in person with my brothers for the weekend! Just curious, what was the travel like and the cost to get out there? Also where did you guys actually watch the race? A couple different spots?

TwistyItch

I use a service called "Scott's Cheap Flights". They happen to be from my home town but I have no affiliation with them. They send alerts of cheap fares. I paid $661 round trip to Munich from Denver. It could have been $481 but I upgraded my seats on the way home. Worth a checkout.

As for watching the race we bought these silver package tickets that took us in a van from the VIP tent to a few different places and then back down to watch the leaders finish. This I would do differently - but I'm not entirely sure how to do it the way I want. I want to go to Machine and Carl's Diner (at least) next time. I am unclear how to get there because so many of the access points seem to be blocked off. Yet when you watch the videos there are people there. However if you notice those places, there are a bunch of KTMs parked there. So there is a service that is expensive but will tour you around on KTMs and I think that might be the way. This is why so many people told me "should have been here x years ago".Because you did not have to pay for access and it was easier to get up there.

We stayed in a village maybe 30 km away to the south and used Airbnb. No hotels had rooms in Eisenerz and you probably have to reserve like now for next year to stay there. The big teams of course have a lot of rooms booked year after year. You do see various (famous?) people walking around town - mechanics and riders. After the raid ride, it is "party on" in Eisenerz and back at the race course. Great time.

TwistyItch

So a friend sent this to me and I really cracked up. Josh, the next day after the "Raid On Eisenerz" where all the bikers and mechanics ride a parade through town, told me that he broke the fun meter. Here is the proof! I thought we did a fine job on the fun meter, but we were clearly bested.