• Forum membership has its advantages....

ESPN's Speed League

craigv888

Speed League

Does anyone know anything about this?
They will be running off road short course in Arizona in April (the same weekend as a Lucas Oil race), tickets are on sale now, but virtually no details about the event have been announced. No idea what kind of trucks, what drivers, etc....
The have also announced an electric rallycross series which starts during SEMA week in Vegas this year.
I assume they will be involved with X-Games...

Anyone know anything? April isn't far off...

vegasloki

Looks like it's Pro2 and golf carts UTV.

Shootout @ Old Tucson tickets by Speed League

With marquee action sports heroes, The Shootout features Pro2 trucks and "side-by-side" UTVs competing on a specially laid track in the popular Western attraction that challenges drivers through twists, turns, jumps and thrills.
Interesting concept. Looks to be X-Games meets GRC meets Arenacross. They could throw some Nitro Circus type stuff surrounding the event and they'd have all the bases covered.

PDANK Racing

I wonder who will show up for Pro 2, Torc is also racing that weekend. Looks like a recipe for disaster, conflicting race date, with no info out and only 3 months to go. Doesn't even look like they have any sponsors. Maybe they're trying the Field of Dreams approach......

vegasloki

This looks more like a sports-entertainment TV taping rather than a pure short course race. Speed League are the bunch that does X Games for ESPN. Apparently this is ESPN backed so they don't really need a sponsor up front. It could be as much a test run for organizing a standalone event in preparation for the electric rallycross series they are planning. Getting action sports/extreme athletes into UTV shouldn't be much of an issue but I don't see where the P2s are coming from.

Chris Tobin

Gould it be something they are working with RG on? SST has run in the XGames so it wouldn't be too big of a stretch to think he could work with ESPN for some more short course stuff???

craigv888

I did see that they rescheduled from the April weekend to May 6-7. No Lucas Oil race in Arizona that weekend at least..

PDANK Racing

Gould it be something they are working with RG on? SST has run in the XGames so it wouldn't be too big of a stretch to think he could work with ESPN for some more short course stuff???
SST is in Australia that day.

brad_m

Going to be P4, PL, and UTV'S.. $20K to win P4, $10k to win PL.. No points, just money and TV.. Will broadcast on ESPN, part of "World of X-Games"..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vegasloki

The ticket site says Pro2 and UTV but it wouldn't be the first time a ticket site got some of details askew. Particularly with something so new.

The question remains, where are they going to get the Pro4s now, or the Pro Lites? Unless they pay travel/appearance money I don't see the TORC types driving down and the Lucas types are racing that weekend. The UTV part is relatively easier. Get Polaris, Can Am or someone to provide mostly stock "racing" vehicles and put your X Games stars in them. That's instant TV.

Joxracing

Their website states that Ryan Beat, Mittag and Hammel are drivers that have committed.

Jimmy8

Holding a UTV shootout on the weekend of the BITD finale where BITD draws close to 100 UTV's doesn't sound like the smartest move.