• Forum membership has its advantages....

Every UTV needs one of these bad boys!

Chris Tobin

Can it be adapted to other applications? Like cars and trucks???

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
It would need to be bigger for a V8. Right now it can separate dirt from air at a 94% efficiency rate at 250 CFM.

Chris Tobin

It would need to be bigger for a V8. Right now it can separate dirt from air at a 94% efficiency rate at 250 CFM.
Okay, thanks. That's not a lot of airflow...

Bajades

I don't know what the Ecotec pulls airflow wise. I was curious not for the 10 car, but rather for the side by sides. Neither the RZR or especially the YXZ have a lot of remaining electrical power once you put on some decent lights, a Parker pumper, and a radio.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I don't know what the Ecotec pulls airflow wise. I was curious not for the 10 car, but rather for the side by sides. Neither the RZR or especially the YXZ have a lot of remaining electrical power once you put on some decent lights, a Parker pumper, and a radio.
Well the XP900 had great electrical power output, then they went away from the rare earth metal stator with the 1000 and reduced it further with the Turbo. Somebody could come out with a stator kit like they had on the 900 (stock) and kill it. 3.1 amps (36 watts) isn't much on a stator putting out 650-ish watts, but I get that it is a draw on an already taxed electrical system. While the Particle Separator is a HUGE benefit for racers, the biggest market is for weekend warriors who want to protect their engine, sustain their horsepower and fuel economy and not have to put in a new $45 filter after every long weekend of riding. Most weekend warriors don't run a pumper or a radio and typically do 80% of their driving during the day. I think Baja Designs should come out with a trick stator to solve the Turbo's output issue. :)

Chris Tobin

It was designed for a RZR. Chris how many CFM's does your engine draw?
Honestly I am not sure... After some quick basic math converting 6.6L to CUFT I get 0.233077 CUFT per revolution which would be 186.4616 CFM at idle of 800 RPM and 1048.8465 at 4,500 RPM. But I think those figures would be for normally aspirated flow so at 30-50 psi of boost it could be maybe 2-5 times more air than that...

Again I am not sure, but I would venture to guess it is A LOT more than 250 CFM for a Duramax at full song...

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Except for WFO, most engines (even large displacement) probably draw less than 250 CFM during operation.

What percent of your off road operation is WFO when playing or prerunning?

And don't SBC's pull pretty hard in roundy round with 350 CFM carbs? They don't get to open 'em up much on slippery crowded 1/4 mile ovals.

How big are milspec units?

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
The Particle Separators that they use on Helicopters have hundreds of vortex generators and they use the turbine exhaust as the scavenge fan. No clue how many hp a helicopter puts out with the turbine.

Chris Tobin

The Particle Separators that they use on Helicopters have hundreds of vortex generators and they use the turbine exhaust as the scavenge fan. No clue how many hp a helicopter puts out with the turbine.
A heck of a lot more than anything we've driven I would guess!!!