Exhaust help

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
I'm entertaining the idea of building my own exhaust.

Now I'm not that good so I will be useing store bought headers but from there back I should be good to go.

It is a LS1 and I would like to do a "X" type exhaust mainly because of the sound.

Here is my question. How do you know how much to cut out of the 90's? I tried to do some research and didnt come up with much.

Can you guys shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

This is one I found on a chevelle site. Not sure how he figured it though.

Reaction
Why not just use a "crossover" pipe? Easier and sounds good.

Ryan_P

Reaction
You can buy premade crossover tubes from Kartek. A lot less work and a lot less headaches.

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Are there any advantages? i.e. power.

I know you get the really bitchen sound like the Wilsons and the Letners from "tuned" exhausts but will the crossover mimic this sound?

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
I looked at thier website and yeah that would work for me, the only problem is I dont know the dimensions.

Does anyone know the center to center measurement where the collector bolts up? (side to side)

Also I need to know the measurement from teh collector to the first bend. (Front to back) I called Kartek and they didnt know.

Thanks for your help again.

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Summit racing sells x-pipe kits well. They MIGHT list the dimensions there, not sure.

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Yeah I saw those...not really what I was looking for.

Thanks tho.

43mod

Reaction
make sure you have a portaband and a sharpie.get some pre made tube turns and start working.if you can fab at all you can make a very nice exh with little effort.much better than a muffler shop/bender.
i believe the way to measure would be to measure the outside and inside of the bend and devide each by the number of degrees of the bend.each increment would be a degree.if you have a 90 and need a 64, subtract 26 increments from each side and draw aline between.
more than likely after a few you can free hand them .there is probably a better method but in the bottom of a trench making pipe conections this gets the job done

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
If you are looking into building exhaust, I highly recommend reading the Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow series by Mike Kojima. It relates to street cars but isn't a bad read. Dont be misled by monkey see monkey do or the search for popular sound.

http://www.modified.com/tech/9912scc_intake_exhaust_systems/index.html

<<Kojima's car = blue banner in this photo.