Exhaust Setup - 2.2L Type 1 VW

swiftracing5

Reaction
So its a 2275cc and right now were running EMPI tubes in to Supertrapp style tip with spark baffles in it. Is that a decent setup for tuning and performance? Its been working well we were just getting crap from the engine guy saying it could flow better with something else. And also, right now it exits to the right of the motor, right by the power steering pump and oil filter and relatively close to the fan and cooler. My question here is, do you think that it is increasing the temps of the fluids etc in this area. If so maybe change it to the left side. Heres a small cell phone picture of the car now. Thanks.

Attachments

• 0715090936a.jpg
    0715090936a.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 229

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
That set up should be ok for a playcar application, it's not a bad set up but there are better options. If you are racing I'd reccomend a 1 5/8" merged system that turns down into a megaphone, that way you can run a 5" supertrapp for better flow (however this system is quite loud-don't know if that's a concern for you). As for the heat issue with your oil and power steering I don't think it should be a major concern, but if it is the system I described above has exit to the driver's side due to support clamps.

Hope this helps!

swiftracing5

Reaction
Thanks alot. Yea I know the supertrapp setup is popular for most race classes since it is so strong and tunable. I remember seeing that setup around $250? Just gotta get that money together i guess....

07FJRog

Reaction
I run the setup in the pic, with 18 disks on it, but it run waaaaay better with nothing on the end, but gets loud. and yes I have a 2276 at 9:1.

swiftracing5

Reaction
I run the setup in the pic, with 18 disks on it, but it run waaaaay better with nothing on the end, but gets loud. and yes I have a 2276 at 9:1.

Wow it sounds like we have a very similar engine setup then. The only thing about the baffles is that we have been doing some MDR stuff and I think a spark arrestor is required.