Exhaust

2fast_Eddie

Reaction
What do you guys think would be the best exhaust muffler for a Tacoma 3.4 V6 engine is? and I'm not just talking about the way it sounds, but best performance out of an exhaust.

Either it's on or it's off. . .

Ryno

Reaction
Nowadays, any of the major players all do about the same. Dynomax, Flowmaster, Borla, etc...they all help flow, flowmaster is by the far the loudest. When I put a 3" exhaust on my K1500 it lost some torque because I lost so much backpressure. I would keep the stock pipe, and just weld in the muffler.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

evan_clanin

Reaction
trd uses borla on there dealer kits if that tells ya any thing

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

dunerking

Reaction
I have always been happy with Flowmaster,like Ryno said bigger is not always better.I bought a 03 Tacoma Quad cab 4wd TRD,and was going to lose the just the stock muffler and go with a 3 chamber Flowmaster,I think its would be 2 1/2".I just don't want it to sound like I had one of those flatbillers install it,for example dual 3" now I will be a hard core dezert racer,j/k

hit it hard

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Don't worry about the power advantage. They are all similar and in my opinion don't do a whole lot compared to other power upgrades that can be made. On my 3.4 v6, i have the stock pipe with a flowmaster 2 chamber dumped after the muffler, and have a straight pipe that can replace my catalytic converter when I go offroad. Don't waist you money on Borla. In my opinion, the best onroad sound/performance comes from a flowmaster 2 chamber dumped and retaining the cat.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I ditched my stock muffler and first had a Flowmaster Series 40 and now I have a Dynomax Race Bullet. Can't tell a difference between the two, and after a while they all sound the same...loud.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Go with a Spintech...it will outlast a Flowmaster due to better qulaity assembly and it sounds awesome. They are a small company who prides themselves on quality...not some huge mass produced company selling advertising!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

evan_clanin

Reaction
make sure u get the cooooool led tip too

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/sounds/2spintech.wmv

"Unlike any muffler you have ever seen or heard before
Traditional muffler designs remove sound in two ways: friction and absorption. Friction mufflers (stock type, turbo type, chambered) have high back pressure and can cause extreme high resonance and noise inside the vehicle at certain engine speeds (2000 to 3000) RPM.

Absorption (packed mufflers) have a straight through design, they can have good flow but the packing begins to deteriorate and get louder as they wear out, and with modern engines the heat is very high which destroys the packing even quicker.

Spin Tech's patented design provides maximum performance for today's modern engines. Its all done by means of a Spin sound trap, which captures sound vibration (noise) and turns it into heat within the muffler case. As exhaust gases enter they are routed to the spin traps which create a high velocity vortex trapping the sound waves. The extremely high flow rates are achieved by a unique internal scavenging system that creates a venturi effect.

Developed and fine tuned in the toughest race tracks of America, our product development continues as "Spin Tech Performance" mufflers are gaining more and more followers in the extremely competitive racing areas of Drag Racing, Circle Track Racing and Road Racing! Race officials are frequently requiring mufflers on competition vehicles, more often than not the 95 DB rule is becoming the norm. Spin tech performance mufflers can make the difference between winning and losing! "

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Kritter,
Explain how the Flowmaster is poor quality, I have never seen one fail or heard of them being problematic.

<font color=red>"BIG TYMERS is a state of mind... If you gonna do something, do it big time."</font color=red>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Come by the shop...i'll show you 3...maybe more that took a crap. I have a flowmaster on my truck and the welds in the muffler break and the thing just rattles to hell. The spintechs come off the truck after a year of racing and go straight to a daily driver/prerunner and keep on rockin! Go to a QUALITY muffler shop and a lot of them wont even carry flowmaster anymore because of problems, customer complaints, and poor quality. If you can get a flowmaster from 5 or 6 years ago....then you have a good muffler, but the newer ones (last few years) are not like they used to be...when quantity goes up...quality goes down 9 times out of 10!

Kris

Bryan_D

Reaction
I have broken a flowmaster at the intake weld from my driveshaft shattering and then smacking the muffler as the brake. Even that didnt completely break it just started the crack and then over time of it bouncing it finally opened and cracked. I put another on and love it. Although I have a friend that put a spintech on his jeep and he loves is. Seems much more heavy duty but also more weight which means that is more weight moving up and down in your mounts that could break instead. Either way they are both awsome.

Jeep this Oval Boys

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
My Flowmaster has broken twice right where it exits the muffler after back to back trips in Baja. I finally just put on a turn down piece so that there is nothing left to break. However, I noticed a loss in torque too. Anyway to remedy that without putting the pipe back on? She's got headers, intake, a chip and gears....

See ya in the dirt!

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I guess a lot has to do with how the muffler or echo chamber is mounted. I have one of the older ones and havent had a problem with it. But I have a friend who owns the muffler shop and I get it mounted how I want it unlike Midas which unless you know someone there will mount that and a tailpipe.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but does anybody have any experience with the mechanisms that allow you to run open headers with a pull of a lever and then return it back to the pipes and muffgler when back on the street. I saw it on "Trucks" on TNN.

<font color=red>"BIG TYMERS is a state of mind... If you gonna do something, do it big time."</font color=red>

2fast_Eddie

Reaction
Thanks Kritter, i checked out spintech a while back and they were the best but also pretty expensive, but now they're pretty cheap! what size should i get though? theres like 30 different choices and i dont want to f it up.

if the road isn't blurry. . .you're not going fast enough!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Check out the JBA systems. Header, and exhaust. Nice stuff!

dunerking

Reaction
I have always been happy with the time trusted Flowmaster,but willing to try something different.Was checking out Spintech and noticed the Pro Street model 6333,how do you think this would work on my new Tacoma V6?I think stock exhaust size is 2 1/2" inlet 2 1/2" outlet?I was looking to give the little thing a nice sound,the sound of the diesel was normal for a long time.Looking to swap just the muffler,I don't want any problems smogging the damn thing.

hit it hard

YZFster

Reaction
whats up slut??????????? I thought we already went through this.......j/k......bro......anything u get will be better than what u got.....supertrapps are always good....we might go to the trailer this weekend.....they got about 5-6 inches of rain....slut

Go Big or stay there.