Expedition vs. Tahoe/Yukon vs. Burb/XL

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I know some people have these vehicles...can you share your experiences??? Looking to purchase (new or used, just not sure) something for my wife in the near future and wanted to hear some pros/cons. This is not to start a brand war. I just want the best bang for my buck. I drive a 1998 F-150 and could care less about the whole Ford vs. Chevy crap. I want a good vehicle for our needs!

These areas are key: Seating comfort (for multiple child car seats), storage (for traveling), towing (boat / 26' trailer), interior layout (video screens?), 4x4 or not?, reliability, etc.

This will NOT be used as a chase or play vehicle so I am not worried about adding a suspension performance kit. Will want a "lift only" kit for looks though.

Thanks everyone!

Brannon

desertracer

Reaction
I can only speak on the expedition out of the 3 you mentioned. My dad had a 98 4x4 with the 5.4 which was a great truck to have. It was able to tow our 27' boat and the 26' enclosed, although it did struggle at times up cajon with the enclosed so a bigger truck would have been nice. Problems he had with the 98- transmission at about 70k-new one, shop a plug out of the head at about 60k or so but that was warranty, Got a valve job at about 100k and at about 100k started to get a detionation thing that we could never figure out after taking it to many places, sold it with 131k on it. The nice thing for towing about the pre-2003's is the 4 wheel load leveling on the 4x's. Now he has a 2003 4x which can do all the stuff the old one could and has been happy with that with about 26k on it. Just my experience so take it for what it is worth.

PBR

Reaction
get the burb!!! getting the tahoe is a waste because for a little more length you get a real 3rd row seat and more luggage space. the new expeditions are nice with the 4 wheel indy suspension but the transmission's are still such pieces of crap. the hot ticket would be to get a 2500 burb, the 1500 can tow your boat no problem but over the long haul it will be nice to get the bigger motor, rear end and hd suspension. get the burb you won't regret it!!! and fords suck!!!

tedmales

Reaction
excursion. big, lots of room, and if you get the powerstroke, about 17mpg easy, my pops gets 20 if he goes easy on the gas. all this from the biggest suv.