Experiences with these transmission shops???

sirhk100

Reaction
Well I called a BUNCH of shops today and I've narrowed it down to a couple. I don't want to start a who's better then who thing so let's keep this to personal experience or you know for a fact that your best friend.... Especially since this is involving buisnesses that support our sport.

I'm down to Mogi Transmission or Trans Pros. Anyone have experience with them that I havn't already PM'ed or heard from? Good, bad??? I just got Steve Culhane's phone number tonight so I'll be calling him tomorrow. From reputation alone he sounds like "The Man" but I'm worried he'll be outta my $ range. So I guess if anyone has experience with him I'd like to hear from you too (once again if I havn't already) THANKS A TON for all the info on my threads that I've posted regarding my transmission over the past couple days. I'm almost done!!!!

Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
man kris your just one big pain in the butt! hehehehe j/k :)

Get it fixed so ya can goto the des with us this weekend!

Go Big Or Go Home

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
What kind of prices have you found and what are they offering to do?

Culhane preps our race trannies and we have had no probs with them...gets it to you on time too.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Dave_G

Reaction
Khris,
I've made transmission parts for all three of those choices you've mentioned. You can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. They are all very experienced in building. Mogi's been at it for over 20 years, Culhane has taken truggy to many championships and Dave at Trans Pros has taken care of Baldwin's stuff. The best one for you is going to be the one you use. ;-)

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

sirhk100

Reaction
Austin, I'd love to go but I won't be able to drop the transmission off till Friday so needless to say I doubt I'll have it back and in on the same day I drop it off. I'm still probably going out Sat. night with some friends but I'll talk to them and see if they can change to Friday night. I'll probably just ride with that chick with the Tacoma.

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ok yea see if they will go out Friday night, we got a pretty good size group going again. Should be a lot of fun. We have some jumping trucks going not all desert trucks :)

Go Big Or Go Home

jeff

Reaction
I had Trans Pros build my C6 and it's awesome. Dave (the dad) is the guy to talk to if you need the tough questions answered. His son is a cool guy but usually refers to his pops when the questions get beyond his own knowledge... which is cool because you'll never get a half assed answer from those guys. I took my C6 and x-fer case down there and basically said here is what I'm doing, here is what my motor makes and here is how much I can spend. Dave started banging part numbers and prices off and we arrived at a super reasonable number considering all the stuff I had done. Don't let the outside of their shop fool you - it ain't the most modern transmission shop in the IE but dammit if they don't build good stuff. It's nice to be able to walk into the back of the shop and actually get to watch them work on stuff, they aren't affraid to let people look over their shoulder like some shops are. Last time I was down there everyone had long hair and a smile on their face, even the big old Rottweiler shop dog.

When I was doing my search for a transmission builder a year ago I did the same thing most people do... call all around and try to get the most bang for the buck. TransPros at the time offered the best components and buildup for the price and I trusted their capability when I saw some of the teams that had work done there. My advice would be to stop by, talk to Dave and tell him exactly what you expect from your A4LD - he's a square shooter and if he thinks your expectations are unreasonable he'll tell you so. I refer everyone to TransPros when people ask me where to go... and almost everyone calls or e-mails to thank me for telling them about TransPros - I've never heard anything bad about them anywhere. One word of caution, if you don't tell them it needs to be done fast it won't be. I told them time wasn't important (which it wasn't at the time) and they took about a month to get all my stuff together. If you need it quick, tell them ahead of time!

Aloha

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Also be sure that they build OD trannies...jsut cuz they can build a C4, C6 or Turbo 400 doesn't mean they can build an A4LD. I heard good things about Trans pros from our driveshaft guy.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

mgobaja

Reaction
I can also vouch for Vally Trans. I know they have done lots of Race and Prerun trannys. I believe they also do a lot of Cajon speedway trannys. Steve at Spirit Racing has had them do lots of work for his customers.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, I called Spirit today and they recommended Valley, Culhane, or Trans Pros. I'll call Valley tomorrow and see what they say.

Well, you guys are convincing me to make the drive up to TransPros to talk to Dave face to face. I talked to him on the phone and he sounded very knowledgable.

Kritter, I do know they can do the A4LD cause the first person I heard from on the board was a PM that said they had them build the A4LD that they're running in their race truck.... Imagine that POS in a race truck.... They must know what they're doing if they're getting it to hold up to race abuse. Mine will most likely never see the abuse of a race truck but I figure might as well build it overkill so that I can worry about the next thing on the Exploder. Hmmmm What a name Exploder!!!! God I hate this thing and love it so much at the same time!!!!!

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart