Explorer 4x4 a-arm

usmcgunrock

Ok so I am wanting to build a family desert truck and was going to build off of the Explorer. Now I have experience with the 94 and old ones both 2wd and 4wd. So I know the pros and cons of I beams. But I have no experience with the newer a-arm 4wd trucks. I was going to run the dixon bros kit but is it worth putting the time and money into a a-arm Explorer or just stick to the I-beamed 4wd Explorer.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
John,

Do you already have an A-arm Explorer on hand? Then I would say built what you have. If not, I think one of the benefits of going with a later model Explorer 98+ would be the powertrain. You could pick up a vehicle with a 5.0L V-8 or a SOHC 4.0 instead of limiting yourself to the 4.0 OHV available in the older model I-beam vehicles.

Yeah, you could do a conversion but thats time and money you could save for something else. The Dixon Bros. suspension is a good choice.

usmcgunrock

John,

Do you already have an A-arm Explorer on hand? Then I would say built what you have. If not, I think one of the benefits of going with a later model Explorer 98+ would be the powertrain. You could pick up a vehicle with a 5.0L V-8 or a SOHC 4.0 instead of limiting yourself to the 4.0 OHV available in the older model I-beam vehicles.

Yeah, you could do a conversion but thats time and money you could save for something else. The Dixon Bros. suspension is a good choice.
Well right now I have a 2wd 93 Explorer that I am trying to sell or trade. And I like the idea of building a V8 4x4 Explorer or since they did not come in 4x4 with the V8 awd Explorer.

Anyone happen to know anyone who wants a 93 Explorer with 4.5 over beams, coilovers, and full glass? :D

I got the Dixon Bros kit on my 02 4x4 edge last December. I only have approx 200 miles on it (in Afghanistan), but with the help of Woolworth and their knowledge with set up, from the moment I first took it out it felt like I was driving floating on a marshmellow through the whoops and harsh Vegas terrain!!!!!! I was last in a group of 4 trucks my first time out on it.... they were pushing their trucks (one broke a tie rod) and my truck easily followed behind them at maybe 30-40%. DBR is a great kit IMHO

With any luck I'll be home Jan/Feb '10 and if back in time I'll be racing BAP.