explorer 5.0 swap

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
truck is a 97' 4.0 w/5-speed

I'm getting the motor complete with 17,000 miles on it (its actually a mercury mountaineer motor) does anybody know if the oil pan will clear? Will it run without the factor gauge cluster? I'm going to make a new dash so should I toss my original harness completely. I'm replacing my smashed up cab finally so I want to do this all at once.

Also what transmission to run the AOD or a C-4, I can get the AOD that came with the motor but do they hold up, I'd like a full manual valve bodied c-4 but that going to cost more.-----with the AOD can I replace my two piece shaft with a single or do I shorten the front shaft. Fabricating isn't a problom as I work at a sheetmetal shop.---

Any info is greatly appreciated,Craig

Timberwlf

Reaction
is the truck going to be a daily driver??? or see the freeway?? if so then go with the AOD you will be much happier...c-4 pulls way to many revs at freeway speeds....however if the truck is going to be primarly a desert beater go with the c-4. If you do go with the AOD make shure ya run a BIG cooler on it

as for the motor fitting im about 95% shure that it will fit with the stock pan...as for the guage cluster i would get copies of the wiring diagrams and make comparasons but it should work ok.

Let me know if ya have any more questions
Brandon

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I am going to be driving the truck daily for a while. I just wondered what problems to anticipate with the transmission if any,and yes it will get a cooler.

Timberwlf

Reaction
the only problems i have had with my AOD is that i cant manually select 2nd gear....and thats the speed range for quite alot of the screwing around in the deset driving...i thought of a manual valve body but for the price of the valve body my friend can build me a pretty bad ass c-4 and with the c-4 i dont have to worry about the gear selection cause i can manually select 2nd gear also the c-4 is smaller and lighter...

also the real bitch part of a AOD is gettng the TV cable set right ( well at least it was kinda diffucult for me cause im using a carb )

Brandon