• Forum membership has its advantages....

Explorer pre runner build questions.

Jakeb05

Hey there,
New to the forum so first of all hello.
Second of all I plan on doing a 2001 V8 conversion explorer pre runner. Got the front suspension all picked out but was wondering if the rear can be changed to a 3 or 4 link like a ranger or not. Would still like it to remain a 4wd.
New to pre runners and was just wondering if y’all had any input.
Thanks
Jake

Josh 8

Jake. I understand your passion.

But..... What your talking about there is a big project. I would suggest you look through the classifieds and find one close to what you want.

Typically I would estimate that you will be able to pick that exploder up for 1/3 to 1/2 of what it will cost to build. And it will be driving.

Conversely the same goes for our personal projects we don’t finish. They are sold for 1/3 of the investment we have in them. Don’t let this be you some years down the road burned out and pissed at off-road. The smart guy buys the finished truck for half the price of the build or 1/4 the price for a near complete project.

Good luck and God bless.

Last edited:

Bert is my name

Start with a factory built v8 explorer. They are cheap to buy. Much cheaper than a swap would be. As far as linking the rear goes. That all depends upon how much interior you want to keep. Cantaleiver and short course setups use less room in the cab. A traditional desert setup will make the rear seat area about useless. What's your budget? Do you just want to get out and have fun or are you building an instaqueen?
If getting in the dirt is your main priority put a decent kit up front and deavers, shackles, and good shocks in the rear. Linking that truck while keeping four wheel drive is a little pointless. Most kits for those trucks cycle around 14 inches or so. That is easily accomplished with leaf springs and proper setup. Good luck.

Jakeb05

Cool thanks for the reply and the info!
The only reason I’ll be doing the swap is I have an explorer with a tired V6 and a nice 80’s EFI 302 that I’m gonna build and get some power out of.Kinda working with What I got lol
I plan on having fun with the rig, ripping as well as something to haul stuff for desert camping.
Just looked at Deavers and I think I’ll go that route, thanks for the info on that
Thanks again for your reply and recommendation,
I think you saved me some time and money ?
Cheers,
Jake

Bert is my name

The explorer 5.0 has the better heads and intake. It's all the gt40p stuff. Cam swap headers and a tune will go pretty far . 400 horse range. As far as front kits go. Look at dixon bros. Or btf fab. The dixon kit is an older design. I believe Camburg has a kit for the explorer as well. Good luck.

Jakeb05

Thanks again for the help fellas,
This forum seems great. Lots of knowledgeable people and no attitude.
Some forums get old with the bickering and constant bashing of other people’s ideas.
I’m glad to have joined such a good community.
Cheers
Jake

Josh 8

Check this out. Its my point about how things can be picked up cheap. Who says you even have to pay what the guys is asking? Btw, this thing has probably been through several hands getting to this point. I am not sayin you should buy this. It’s just my point. Some one could have 30k in this this thing and it all but lost. Plus it’s still big time project and has long way to go.

Last edited:

mounty71

I’ve been building my 2000 5.0 4-door up over the last 10+ years, and I would not recommend building one of these unless you keep it simple on small tires. The rear doors present challenges with clearing larger tires and getting significant up travel, and the rear frame rails are right where longer shocks want to be. The 5.0 is alright but there is so much stuff crammed under the hood that working on anything is always more of a hassle than it should be. I love mine and feel way too attached to it to get rid of it, but I would recommend anyone else to build something else.

Bert is my name

The 5.0 explorer sucks to work on stock. You can build a 347 and that's about as big as you can go. A 5.8 block gets taller and then you run out of room. As far as the rear doors go it's the same as most s.u.v.s. go gain wheel base or get into the rear doors. I saw an expedition this morning in el cajon. On 37s with glass front and rear. Looks like he still has functional rear doors. But it sits tall. Getting big tires under the truck isn't a problem. Getting the truck to sit low is. The explorer doesn't leave a ton of room. I have a 2000 5.0 2wd sitting in my yard. I bought it cheap, but I don't know where to start. Stock they have problems. The ball joints and tie rods are too small to start with. The racks suck too. Sooooo.

mattro

I just finished(well nothing is ever really finished) a 99, 6 seat ford explorer build. I used a Dixon kit up front, but changed some of the geometry with shock angle. I also moved the wheel base 5" in the rear, with a cantilever setup and 10" bypasses I'm getting right at 18' of travel in the rear. Had to have deaver build a custom set of leafs. Its a lot of work to say the least. PM me if you have any questions.

Attachments

BTFfabrication

We’ve built a few explorers and the worst part is installing the door handles on the 4 piece rear door/glass bedsides. Any vehicle you choose to build will have something that sucks about it. These are not deal breakers though.

Bert is my name

What you are truly saying is this. Know your intended vehicles limitations. Then apply a realistic budget and ti.e frame. Otherwise you have an incomplete project for sale at a loss.

Bert is my name

I've owned and been involved with more than one unrealistic project . It sucks. I'm not trying to turn a person away from building their dream. But, life gets in the way when building a vehicle. If you're dreams are to go fast. Go with a proven and sorted out platform. That's all I'm saying. Explorers are not the worst platform to start with. But not my first choice for quick easy and cheap.

mounty71

That’s why I wouldn’t build any 4-door SUV again. My original plan was to keep it simple many years ago, but we all know how sticking to an original build plan goes. Against my better judgement, I’m starting on a rear 3-link on mine pretty soon, so clearly I don’t listen to my own advice.

Bert is my name

Even a rear link setup wouldn't be that bad to do IF you already know the geometry works. I'm giving up on my dream to build it all and take the bolt on route with minimal fab to get back in the dirt. I'm tired of yard art. Two trucks and a boat along with the daily drivers is toi much for me. I don't have the time to get one project finished. Let alone finish two plus prep and maintenance. Too busy with work and family stuff. I need to get back to one or two weekends a month of project time and be able to enjoy the progress made. The bolt on life is calling me. Time to buy a jeep. My dad says I'm car poor. I guess maturity and experience are finally setting in.

jon coleman

whats next, oil changes at jiffy lube?, hmmmm, come to think of it , im sick of dropping oil filters on the driveway..