Expo Vendor

John Bitting

Administrator
At the expo I walked by a booth and saw a guy runnnig an impact gun off a tiny compressor, Did anyone get a card or listen to the pitch, maybe a website. It was almost too good to be true. Thank you in advance..

BradM

I didn't stop and look at it but it sounded to me from the pitch of the gun like the air pressure dropped off pretty quick. I think you would need a reservoir tank to make it more effective. Even then you would have to let the compressor pump up a lot. Just my .02

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Rory

Crayola Killer
John, I remember hearing it. It was directly across from the "Off-Road.com" booth.

Racers only

Tony_Barraza

JB-

Forget that compressor BS! The hot ticket looks like these ELECTRIC impact guns some of the big boyz are going to (Collins, for example) For a Prerun/Chase Truck, THAT sounds like the way to go! I'm trying to get more info on this setup.

Anyone else have any info on these?

Tony

BradM

I used one to change a tire in Primm. It was quick and effective. I also put a breaker bar to the lugs after to check them and they were easily over 100 ft-lbs. It was Frank Hines' so you could ask him. It was a rechargable unit made by Milwaukee, I believe. Another friend said he bought a Snap-on unit. He told the rep that if it would change all four tires on his IMCA and get them over 100 ft-lbs he would buy it. No problem.

The thing about air is that it has many uses beyond an impact.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

tkr

I have the Snap On 16V. It torques to about 120 lbs. Expensive at a little under $400, but definitely worth it.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Jack

I run a belt driven compresor (air conditioning) on my chase truck (Jeep) works great, need to find a place to mount a small tank but it has enough to run a gun just not enough to run a drill or saw.

PBR

john - in this months dirt rider, i know this isn't a moto question, but they had an electric impact gun on page 199 that looks pretty sick and it is only $40!!! you can get it from harbor freight the part # is 36175-3vga. you can call harbor freight (800)423-2567 or www.harborfreight.com</A>. i do not work for the company or anything like that, but i thought this sounded like what you are looking for.

and to everyone out there wondering where the hell PBR has been, don't you worry, we will be back in full force and wide open!!!!!!

ollie.

frankh

The gun seemed to work greet. I say that because we have used it on one race. Time will tell. Now we need a good and easy way to get it on the car. Yes it is a Milwaukee it will torque up to 240 ft/LB. We change 10 tires and it was not completely dead. But it is bigger than the Snap-On. The price was $480.00 seem a lot, till you are changing a flat in 100+ degrees with you fire suit on.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Hey Ollie, maybe Harbor frieght will sponsor you by doing a signature series $40.00 impact gun for you. You could mount it on the dash next to your signature series cup holders! With all those sponsorship dollars rolling in, you can use "Butch" as a prerunner and build a 4 seat Trophy blazer.
Can you sence the sarcasm in my voice? On a serious note, hows that "sponsorship package" coming along? Don't even start on the "Sand buggy".

Racers only

PBR

it's going... PBR is now accepting donations, just make the checks payable to the "get butch back to the desert fund". we're working on the truck tonight if you want to drive down, see ya in about 5 hours(no traffic).

Jimmy8

There was a booth for a company called power tank. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powertank.com>www.powertank.com</A> They had some cool stuff, and they had an impact running off of a small nitrogen bottle. A lot similar to what we carry on the 8 truck.

johnnyspeed

The harbor freight "electric" is a POS. (What do you expect for $40) If you want a good "electric" go with either the Dewalt (240 ft #'s) or the Milwaukee (240 ft #'s), we use them in an "industrial" environment at work (not just changing tires), and they are the only ones that last, and work well. As far as the "cordless" go, the Milwaukee (240 ft #'s) is the way to go. It is more powerful than the snap on. We use a snap on, (12 volt) but it max's out at 80 ft #'s. (I have not seen their 16 volt, nor does their industrial catalog list one?) The 12 volt is $360! As far as "air" impacts go, I-R is the king! (BETTER and CHEAPER than Snap on) They make a 1/2" drive gun that is good for 450 ft #'s tightening, and 600 ft #'s to loosen! And it is very small and compact, and light weight. It is the model IR2131, ultra duty, and weighs 4 pounds. You can find them for $250. Not at HD, or HArbor freight, at a REAL indqstrial tool shop! ((San Diego rep: Smolans Industrial Supply #619-233-6141))

Waldo

Safehouse
At my old job we tested the power airtank and it was the bomb. They claim it can fill up can change 40 tires in one tank depending on the size tank. It also fills up umpteen tires after being aired-down for sand or things of that nature. I think they are about 3 bills though.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

tkr

The 16V Snap On came out just a few months ago. I got the first one our tool truck was delivered. Had I know there were more powerful ones on the market, I would've went with them...Oh well.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

pjc

Chairman
I have a Quick-Air3 compressor and tank on the prerunner. I am not so worried about running tools than inflating tires. We have bead locks and tubes. We can fix just about any flat with time.

On the Protruck, an electric impact has found it's way into my hands a few times for quick work.

PJCinLV

Jimmy8

I know ashley and smith run an electric impact off of a power inverter, instead of the nitrogen tank. They said it works great and they havent had any problems, because I didnt think it could get the lugs quite as tight as a nitrogen tank would.

I've seen some 4x4 offroaders who run an air-compressor, with fittings at the front & rear. they can run air-tools conveniently at the front or rear.

About electric powered tools. Suppose you run out of batteries? Okay, then run off your batteries? (dual battery system). What if those get drained? I kinda like the air-compressor system. I will say battery powered stuff is all over the place, like power tools. I got a ride in an electric car (GM), man that things was impressive. Lots of power. One problem: can't go long range, needs to be re-charged.

I will say after using manual wrenches to change tires, boy is that tiresome! Battery or air-compressor powered tools, certainly makes things easier. Can you goto a gas station, & air-up your compressor tank?

"Go for the Gusto, Go for the Overall"
-- Robby Gordon, SCORE off-road champion

ntsqd

John, It was Oasis Off Road. 888.96.OASIS or <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.oasis-off-road.com>http://www.oasis-off-road.com</A>
The compressor you saw was a York A/C compressor with a winch motor coupled to it. Some specs:
0 psi @ 14 CFM @ 120 amps
50 psi @ 8 CFM @ 150 amps
100 psi @ 5 CFM @ 180 amps
(claims testing done @ 11.8-12.2 VDC)
$699 / 1 yr warrenty on new York
$599 / 6 mo. warrenty on rebuilt York

The electrics may work just fine, but how are you going to drive a blender with an electric impact ?

PowerTank's are filled with CO2, not Nitrogen. It's cheaper, but I belive CO2 to be corrosive to rubber, They say it's not, but I've yet to get another explaination of why the O-rings in a CO2 air rifle or pistol go away so fast. It's commonly felt in that industry that it is the CO2 atrificially aging them.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee