Extreme E - Ocean X Prix, Africa

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
The second Extreme E race is this weekend in Africa. I will add more videos to this thread after they are posted.

Live shakedown video is tomorrow the 28th at noon. Live qualifying at 4:30am Saturday the 29th at 4:30am.

Track preview:

This weekend (29-30 May) Extreme E, the electric off-road racing series will host its second X Prix – the Ocean X Prix – in Lac Rose, Dakar, Senegal. Championship drivers and course advisors Timo Schieder and Jutta Kleinschmidt have been at the West African coastline developing the course ahead of the driving action commencing on Friday (28 May) with Free Practice sessions.

Teams will once again face a mostly sandy terrain, though a very different challenge and location to the deserts of Saudi Arabia. Here, the race will take to the existing tracks surrounding the lake, named after, and renowned for its striking pink colour, caused by algae that thrives within its highly-saline waters.

The Ocean X Prix starts on the beach, running alongside the Atlantic Ocean which hugs the West African coastline. Drivers will be tempted to look left at the stunning waves breaking on the beach alongside them, but this fast section will demand their attention before they turn inland and onto a more technical part of the course, in amongst the backyard of the dunes.

Obstacles will include a myriad of short, sharp elevation and directional changes as the drivers navigate their way through the tight and twisty inland sector, a world apart from the long, sweeping, full throttle sections of the AlUla desert. There will be less elevation changes than those experienced in Saudi Arabia, more like four to five metres across a series of dunes, but with more short drops and sharp rises.

In the middle sector, the route crosses close to the main paddock area and heads to the other side of the course where the sand becomes softer and will include more small dips and drops before drivers then enter back out onto the stunning beach, running alongside the picturesque turquoise sea, which will present some spectacular images of the Ocean X Prix.

Timo Scheider, Extreme E Championship Driver said: “After Saudi Arabia, which was a pretty quick course, the aim was to have a more technical layout with more overtaking possibilities and average to low speed areas, and this is what we have achieved.”

“We have some tricky areas, so for sure you have to manage your speed and we still have areas where you have to pay attention to, because if you're too quick on some stages, you can damage your car, spin or even roll.”

Jutta Kleinschmidt, fellow Extreme E Championship Driver said: “So we love it, it's very technical and completely different to what we faced in Saudi Arabia. It's also slower but gives more options for overtaking as there are many racing lines, which will make the Final very interesting. I expect to see closer racing and more overtakes.

All-new for the Ocean X Prix is the Super Sector – the middle section of the course. This new element of the sporting format gives drivers the opportunity to earn five points for their team by being the fastest driver in that sector over the weekend. In a slight change to Saudi Arabia, the Final will also feature four-cars.

This beach and the community of Lac Rose faces a sad plastic pollution issue, which will be clear and unavoidable to see as teams race, though will really give the opportunity to demonstrate the impact we as humans have on our planet.

The Ocean X Prix is available to watch via a number of global broadcasters including Fox Sports in the USA, ITV, Sky Sports, BBC and BT Sport in the UK, Teledeporte in Spain, Proseiben MAXX in Germany, Mediaset in Italy as well as Eurosport across most European Markets and SuperSport in Africa. A full list of broadcasters outlining what will be aired and when it’s available can be found here.

Last edited:

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Once again, nine teams and 18 drivers will compete, but in a slight change to the Saudi Arabia race format, the Final will be a four-car battle, with two teams from each of the two Semi-Finals progressing to the concluding race of the weekend.

Saturday 29 May

Like the Desert X Prix, Qualifying consists of two rounds of time trials. The team starting order is decided by a draw for Qualifying 1 and Qualifying 2. All races feature two laps with the incorporated driver ‘Switch’ feature.

Sunday 30 May

Three races will take place as follows:
  • The teams will be listed 1st to 9th place based on the total combined time of each team’s two Qualifying runs.
  • The top three teams go into the Semi-Final 1, where the top two finishers claim spots in the Ocean X Prix Final.
  • The middle three teams (4th, 5th, 6th) go through to Semi-Final 2, where again the top two progress to the Ocean X Prix Final.
  • The bottom three teams (7th, 8th and 9th) head to the Shoot Out.
  • The Ocean X Prix Final features four cars – the top two finishers from each Semi-Final.
Teams can also benefit from a HyperDrive boost available to each driver on each lap of the race. Activated when the driver presses a button on the steering wheel, they will enjoy an extra push of continuous power for a few seconds.

New for the Ocean X Prix is the ‘Super Sector’ – a part of the course where the fastest driver in that section over the weekend will earn five points for their team. This ensures that whatever position the teams find themselves in there is always an incentive to push to the limit as points are up for grabs.

The world-class team and driver line-up below, will all be behind the wheel of the ODYSSEY 21 – a 550 bhp all-electric SUV charged using zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell technology.
  • ABT CUPRA XE - #125 – Mattias Ekström / Claudia Hürtgen
  • ACCIONA | Sainz XE Team - #55 – Carlos Sainz / Laia Sanz
  • Andretti United - #23 – Timmy Hansen / Catie Munnings
  • Segi TV Chip Ganassi Racing - #99 – Kyle LeDuc / Sara Price
  • XITE ENERGY RACING powered by myenergi - #42 – Oliver Bennett / Christine GZ
  • JBXE - #22 – Kevin Hansen / Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky
  • Rosberg X Racing - #6 – Johan Kristoffersson / Molly Taylor
  • Veloce Racing - #5 – Stéphane Sarrazin / Jamie Chadwick
  • X44 - #44 – Sébastien Loeb / Cristina Gutiérrez
For each race, teams can select which driver goes first, and decisions are kept secret until the last minute.

J Prich

Reaction
Interested to see how event 2.0 goes. Everyone has had some time to recalibrate after the first real race. Look forward to Kyle Leduc and Sara Price having a better showing.

jon coleman

Reaction
im over the sand, gettem' out to Barstow for the fireworks 250( i miss that race)ps, This looks like a race track, ten times better👍 than that last race in SA

Last edited:

Tom_Willis

Reaction
"Obstacles will include a myriad of short, sharp elevation and directional changes as the drivers navigate their way".... Wasn't Kyle Leduc's biggest "obstacle " a slow-ass racer last time?

jon coleman

Reaction
"Obstacles will include a myriad of short, sharp elevation and directional changes as the drivers navigate their way".... Wasn't Kyle Leduc's biggest "obstacle " a slow-ass racer last time?
but its in the hype package hi-lights segment at the begining of the show , Kyle makes it watchable👍

JDDurfey

Reaction
Imagine that...An American team looks to beat the European teams and magically his electric car cuts off!

Edit: I wrote this post before seeing the above post by Kyle. I am glad they were able to show the world that American racers are fast and competitive.

stephenrjking

Reaction
Hnnngh. So, after two events and some viewing:

The cars just aren’t that great. I’m not an electric hater-I prefer ICE but I’ll watch off road racing that’s fun—but this isn’t really fun yet. The cars just don’t have the juice to deal with the environments. And they’re really fragile, reliability issues that just aren’t there in other off road disciplines.

It does sound like they’ve deliberately tuned the suspensions to keep things tricky, which is fine, but the racing through the soft beach sand was just a slog, and they need huge long straights to even get up to 60 mph.

The format? Confusing. Takes them 5 minutes to explain it, which is too long. And they’re going to have to figure out a way to make the races more exciting, because they’re basically over after the hole shot is decided.

There are some bones to work with, though. The car can be improved, and the track environments are as interesting as advertised. They’ve got to figure out a way to engineer the tracks to produce better racing. Joker or split sections or something. As wide open as some of the landscapes are, it’s clear that the first two tracks are basically one line.

But it’s not fun enough for two hours of tv.

JerryB

Reaction
Between the format of the racing and all the commercials telling me how I'm killing the earth, melting glaciers, water bottles scattered on the beaches, gender equality being so problematic, etc.... I'm out.

I tune in to watch racing not be preached to about all the ills of the world, real or imaginary

jon coleman

Reaction
but its All about cute fluffy polar bears, yes, this is posta' be about e racing, but i too am over the whole climate is mans to control scam

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 15
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 14