Extreme E Saudi Arabia this weekend

Jammminjay

Reaction
Interesting that the car fell apart, had talked to Ken Block briefly about driving it and he said that the tires roll over very easily. They just put beadlocks on for this race so that good but he still had a flat.

Not sure what happened, but Kyle has more experience driving off-road than anyone racing the series. I would assume he wasn’t driving race pace for a shakedown.

I would speculate that this isn’t that strong of a car, and it fell apart upon impact. With the knowledge that the people who built the car have NEVER built an off-road car, only rally cars which are very different.

J Prich

Reaction
Excited to see this go down. The fact that they put together an international roster of high profile drivers should help them gain a fair amount of visibility. Will be interesting to see how the actual racing plays out.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
If anyone missed it here is our feature on the Chip Ganassi Odyssey 21 driven by Kyle LeDuc and Sara Price.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Here's a youtube link to watch:

I'll try to tune in to watch LIVE but it's early.

Main race is Sunday 10am GMT or 3am PST

Also can be watched on FOX Sports 1 and 2 (Broadcast delayed on the same day)

USA
Qualifying/SemisFox Sports 2
FinalFox Sports 1
I created a post on the homepage and will be adding the qualifying and race day videos as they become available. The times listed there are local Saudi times.

450grl

Reaction
This was their first chance to see what the cars could do at speed, and show their speed/skills to their competitors as well, so I'm sure they were pushing. With NO spare car, there will be a fine line to walk between speed / aggression and keeping the car alive and in the race for maximum points for the series. One good wreck in qualifying or the race itself will be a huge blow for championship points.

Jammminjay

Reaction
This was their first chance to see what the cars could do at speed, and show their speed/skills to their competitors as well, so I'm sure they were pushing. With NO spare car, there will be a fine line to walk between speed / aggression and keeping the car alive and in the race for maximum points for the series. One good wreck in qualifying or the race itself will be a huge blow for championship points.
This is the second time at full speed. They already tested in Spain.

Jammminjay

Reaction
So... is this thing supposed to be like a rally car or a Dakar car? Who builds them?
I wrote a build feature on the car.

Jammminjay

Reaction
So... is this thing supposed to be like a rally car or a Dakar car? Who builds them?
Their all-electric race car is the Odyssey 21 developed by French racecar manufacturer Spark Racing Technology, which created the all-electric open-wheeled race cars in Formula E. They have designed the first all-wheel-drive all-electric off-road race car with 400 KW (550 HP) weighing 3637 lb with an estimated peak output that gets it from 0-62 MPH in just 4.5 seconds. It has a battery that was developed by Williams Advanced Engineering with a total of 860 volts.

JBuggy21

Reaction
Good write up jay. I had skimmed it before, guess I should have read it before asking dumb questions. Looks like it was hard to get good chassis pictures. My thought process is on par with total loss, will those things hold up in Mexico?
For the record I hope the e series does well. Anything off-road, and electric needs all the support it can get.

spalind

Reaction
Kyle and Sarah qualified last...of the cars that finished qualifying. Two of them didn't. Big time separation between Kyle and Sarah and the top qualifiers too...some 30% slower.

spalind

Reaction
Annnnnd....this is why Ekstrom's team didn't finish qualifying...So between shakedown and qualifying you have had at least 33% of the field wad up their cars...make your own conclusions...