F-150 Lift Options/Info Needed

FordFreak

Reaction
Recently I have purchased a '99 F-150 Supercab, 4.6L V8, 2WD, Auto transmission and previously had a Ranger. I knew a bit more about the I-beam set up than I do about the A-arms. I am, in the pretty distant future, going to be getting a suspension kit for it. I am no expert when it comes to being in the dirt, you could say I am pretty much a extreme beginner. I was wondering if you dirt devils out there could learn me about the suspension, its good/bad points and maybe lead me into making decisions about my future set-up. I would appreciate ANY info/experience Any of you out there can offer a guy just trying to get started. I figured this place would be the best place to learn. Thanks.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Well I don't know if ya want to go lift or long travel. I recommend long travel but it is up to what you prefer and what your driving style is, whether off-road or street. Lift kits are for the most part street use only. There are some good long travel kits out there for you. California Super Trucks makes a nice coilover kit that makes it 3" wider on each side with fabricated lift spindles, also H&M makes a very nice coilover kit that comes with boxed upper and lower arms and boxed spindle and it makes your front end 3 1/2" wider on each side. I would say your best bet is to look on www.bajaconcepts.com, there is a link to it on this site, but I am not sure if they carry the H&M kit or not, but there is also a link for H&M Motorsports on this site too.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

Just4Fun

Reaction
I did a long travel kit on mine. its 5" per side, 2.5 10" stroke dual rate king coilover, custom uprights w/ vertical uniball up top. Its limited at 18 right now. I used stock location on the upper and lowers and all the pivot points off the frame are heimed and the uprights are uniballed. I know Newline makes a kit also, with a J arm upper, think his is set at 19 or 20 but u better talk to Nestor. H&M claims 17 but i know a shop that installed one and is only getting 15. So i dont know what it actaully is getting. Good luck, the only problem that i came up w/ when i built mine is how the lower arm is atached on the back mount. Its not like a normal A shaped arm.
Jason
P.M. Fabrication

YZFster

Reaction
I got the CST long travel kit on my 97F1 with a 10in king......got the H&M spindle and i am 4.5 wider on each side....for the money it works great...I am getting about 15in travel.....not bad for spending about 3000 with shocks.....

Go Big or stay there.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
These kinds of questions are always relative to your needs and budget. For example, many years ago I used to have a Toyota 2wd that I spent about 15,000 on making it long travel prerunner and a fun play toy. However, it was my daily driver and I had issues when it broke and I was broke. It all depends on what you want to do with your truck. Is it going to be a daily driver on the street? Is it going to be mainly a desert toy that you will charge hard with? Or is it a happy medium of both?

I have a 98 F-150 that I decided wasn't going to be a money pit or a full-blown desert toy. God knows we don't get our $ worth when we sell a truck/car that we have built to the hilt. I figured since it was my daily driver, and it pulls my toys instead of being abused like one, I would only spend the necessary money on it. I ended up buying the Camburg A-arm set (with ball joints), Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. I think they sell the kit for around $750 bucks and I purchased some 285/75x16 tires/wheels and I was out the door under $2K. I installed it myself and have had no issues with it whatsoever when I have run it in the dez. I also know that my truck is not a long travel TT and I don't treat it as such.

If you are going to play hard, spend the money for a long travel kit, rear springs, proper shocks, and most importantly a well-built cage! When I rolled my Toyota, the main thing that saved my ass was not the suspension kit but the cage.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
For Long Travel kits check out the following sites:

http://www.hnmmotorsports.com/1997f150extreme.shtml
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/html/ford2wd97_01f150.html>http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/html/ford2wd97_01f150.html</A>

Or if you want just a lift go with a lift spindle or an Upper arm and Coil, or you can combine the two.