F-150 mass airflow / E4OD --->C6

motoxscott

Reaction
Thought I'd post this as I know others have asked me about it.

Originally I was going to buy a '95 F-150 since it has mass airflow fuel injection stock. I then wanted to ditch the E4OD transmission for a manual valvebody C6.

Ford said that you should be able to install the C6 without it going into limp mode or altering the ignition/fuel mapping. It will only throw out codes that the torque convertor isn't locking up, etc etc. Notthing that will directly effect the motor and driveability.

They recommended that I purchase an older F-150 say '92 or '93 which is speed density, convert it to mass air flow using thier stick shift version ($700) and then install a C6 in it. They said that computer will be better to work with when doing heavy mods, since I'm planning on going to 408 ci. Also with the stick shift version, it won't be throwing out any transmission codes.

The guy I talked to there had a supercharged 392 ci motor in his explorer using the stock mustang computer and injection. No chips, just the correct calibration and injectors.

I think this is the route I'm going to take now. I can save a lot of money buying an older F-150. The money I save will go towards a new motor and transmission.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiance with this??

-Scott

motoxscott

Reaction
Another follow up to this,

When I first talked to Ford about their mass airflow conversion, they said since I will be running a manual valvebody C6 to go with the stick shift version.

I just talked to another guy there that said to run the auto version, because he has seen some stalling problems when using the stick version on an auto. With a stick their is no load on the motor when at at strop light with the clutch in. The auto has a little drag so it has provisions in it so that it wont stall, a higher idle or something.

Someone here might want to know this info now or in 6 months, so I thought I'd post it.

Sites

Reaction
Ok, so the mass air conversion is only for the heavy mods, and not anything to do with ditching the E40D?

94' Lightning Prerunner (in-progress)

motoxscott

Reaction
When converting to Ford Motorsports mass air, you have the option of either a stick shift version ECU or auto transmission ECU for the AOD transmission, which is not computer controlled like the E4OD.

If you have the E4OD electronic transmission their is an interface between the ECU and transmission. Ford said you can ditch the transmission and put in a C6 but it will throw out codes as if the transmission wasnt working properly, but it shouldnt affect the motor and how it runs. They are not linked together that close.

The whole point of going from speed density to mass air is accuracy and adjustability. With proper injectors and mass airflow calibration going from the stock 351ci to 408ci is a pc of cake. If you plan on doing a lot of mods its the better way to go. I had a '92 Bronco once that I was going to convert but never did.

Any other questions just let me know as I've looked underneath almost every rock to find out as much as I can about this.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
I'm not too up on the Ford ECU's, but the GM's have a learn mode for idle in neutral, in-gear, A/C-on, and A/C on-in-gear. Each situation is "learned" in a sequential order over a specified number of seconds. Some need this anytime the battery is disconnected. That's why they make the gizmos that feed power to the computer through the cigarette lighter, while you change a battery or do other work. It seems like you would still need the ECU for an automatic, in order to accommodate the in-gear idle. I need to figure out some of this for my own project and am hoping to use the neutral safety switch to provide the in-gear information. That switch knows when the transmission is not in gear.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Ryno

Reaction
Scott-

I've had alot of experience with the 302's that ran speed density. All of them were 5 spd's. All we did was change the curves like you said, and run the correct injectors, and they would run awesome. Never threw a code. I know that you can get more power from Mass Air, but Speed Density is simpler, and easier to deal with IMO. Esp if your gonna run the stroker motor, I would think your idea of a 92 or 93 is the best. Call Mechtech is Escondido, they have alot of experience with burning chips, ECu's etc. They do all the big motor sand cars. 760-432-0555. Jim is the man to talk to. He might be able to offer some assistance.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

jeff

Reaction
Anybody care to offer any updates to this thread? Here's why I ask...

I've got a built 351w and C6 left over from the Bronco project. I purchased a 1993 F150 the other day with a build date of October 1992. The 1993 F150 is currently equipped with a 5.8L and the E4OD - both have 140,000 on them. For now I plan on running the not so smog legal 351w and C6 from the Bronco in the F-150. I'd eventually like to build up the 5.8L and E4OD but haven't found or decided on what will be the hot setup. Any recent information on this topic would be great.

Aloha

motoxscott

Reaction
man ........ I posted this back in Jan 2003 and the sad part is I still havent built my damn truck to give you any feedback. Hopefully soon I'll let you know how the mass airflow conversion and C6 conversion goes ....

- Scott