F-150 Wheel Bearings ....

motoxscott

Reaction
Anyone recommend a specific brand of wheel bearings for the front of my '94 F-150 2wd? Should I go OEM (Ford), go to Napa or is there something better?

I just picked up some Stillen rotors and since I will be putting on new beams soon I'm changing out all the parts so when I'm done everything will be new in the front end (bearings,ball joints, brakes, tie rod ends, etc).

Thanks in advance,

-Scott

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
Timkin makes real good bearings. i believe the ford ones are Timkin also. i allways go OEM for stuff like that. good piece of mind i think, its a pretty integral part.

SDranger

Reaction
When i did my ranger, autozone had theTimkin bearings in stock, i was told those are really good too, no problems so far and they've been on there a long time.

blind655

Reaction
does auto zone have them instock all the time? Where would the best place be to pick some up?

thanks
mike

ntsqd

Reaction
With project vehicles I go to a bearing house for wheel bearings. They do have vehicle reference books so you can give them the application just like a parts house. They may not have or be able to easily get these new cartridge bearing assemblies though. Have yet to mess with a vehicle that has those so that aspect is unknown to me.
I then pack the wheel bearings with Redline CV joint grease. By doing it this way I know I'm getting quality bearings and grease. One street car I did this way over 7 years ago and it is still rolling perfectly well on those bearings and that grease. You might pay a little more for the bearings at a bearing house than at Autozone. I think the piece of mind is worth it, for all I know the AZ bearings are seconds or built to a lower quality level.