F-250 vs. F-350

RRose

Reaction
Can anyone tell me the EXACT differences between the F-250 and the F-350? Obviously 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton..... but what exactly are the differences? Brake size? Frame difference? Just spring rate? Searched all over and can't find the answer.

jeff

Reaction
That depends on the year. In my searches I've found the 1999-2001 trucks have different springs and blocks... but more important to me is the higher weight rating of the F-350. I don't want a new 6.0L and would rather spend $24000-ish for a used F350 than $44000-ish for a new one. I've been looking around for a used Super Duty for a year and have probably spent DAYS researching the differences between the years and models. On the 1999-2001 (ish) trucks the F250 is capacity is 8800lbs and the F350 with the same engine/trans/cab/bed is 11500. After 2001-ish the differences are only the F350 has a taller rear block than the F250, a 4" versus a 2" block I think. The F350 also has a slightly wider tire which increases its rating, but that's an option on the F250. The trucks are basically identical in every other way, brakes, engine, trans, frames, you name it.

Aloha

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Pay more fees at the DMV for an F350 then an F250...or so I was told that by AAA.

ntsqd

Reaction
Sure, weight fees are based on GVW. Had to pay them on my '67 Ranchero b/c it had black & gold truck plates & I wasn't willingly giving them up.

Also, top of cab clearence lights aren't usually on F-250's and are on F-350's. Not sure if it matters to you, but it is a difference.

jeff

Reaction
The clearance lights are an option on the single rear wheel F250 & F350 and you don't see too many on the west coast with them. On the dual rear wheel trucks it's required by law for width reasons. The last time I checked, California requires anything wider than 80" have the roof marker/clearance lights. The guys you see install them on less than 80" wide trucks or SUV's are actually breaking the vehicle code (law) that deals with these things.

On the weight thing... California isn't too bad (yet) about pulling over a non-commercial truck and inspecting it. In other states it's not the same. If you are over the weight limit of your truck they'll bust you for it. SInce the new F250 and F350 are given the same weight ratings (with the necessary options) the registration won't really be a factor. But yes, on the 1999-2001 trucks it will be. I'd still rather have the F350 for when I head out of state, spend a nickel, save a dime.

Aloha

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
you have all those problems with you ranger and now you want another ford J/K ??? I would go for an 2500HD with the diesel and my prerunner is a ford! Kritter is right you pay more registration $$$ for a 1 ton because its considered a commercial vehicle and now since dumb A$$ gray davis screwed us i would go for a 3/4 ton my friend pulles a 26' enclosed behind his with no problem...Mike

motoxscott

Reaction
From what I remember, any pickup truck is considered a commercial vehicle unless it has a permanent camper shell. Get a diesel for sure.

jeff

Reaction
In California a "pickup truck" is anything that weighs under 8,001 lbs. unladen. But... and this is the big but... it's NOT a pickup truck if the gross vehicle weight rating is more than 11,500 pounds. It also says the bed cannot be open and longer than 9' in length. So in the case of a Super Duty, with a GVWR of more than 11,500lbs, it's not technically a pickup truck. Most states aren't going after the Super Duty or HD owners yet... but I'm sure they will. Anything that can make them another buck is sure to end up on the books and will become law.

The only way to really find out is to call the DMV and give them a VIN and the vehicle info - they can help you assess the actual registration fees. And CHP handles all of the commercial enforcement and operates the scales, not Caltrans. You might be able to find a CHiP dude to look up what they are currently enforcing as it doesn't always match the DMV vehicle code book - go figure.

Aloha

RRose

Reaction
I want a '04, crewcab, 4x4, shortbed, with the 6.0L diesel. Just trying to figure out the difference between the two. I was able to get some detailed literature about it.... and the only thing I can find that is different is that with the F350 you get about 775 lbs stiffer on the rear spring pack... that it! Same frame, same brakes...... I was planning on changing the suspension anyways.... I am pretty sure I am going to go with the F250.

dadomin8r

Reaction
that's what everyone seems to think. It's just a 4" block instead of the 2" one and the tires. There's been some debate about the springs on the back being different, but who cares, the trucks haul more than you'll probably ever need to anyway (esp. in a shortbed). The 250 and the 350 are the same to insure according to AAA on my policy. You better research that 6.0L before you buy it though. Most say it's a pile. Typical Ford, release the "beta" version and let the public do the testing for a year or two.

tedmales

Reaction
i have the 7.3 in my excursion, runs great, i went to look at a new one( mines a 2000) and the salesman told me to run away from the 6.0 powerstroke. he said he would not sell me one because i would not be happy with him. said they have alot of problems.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
but once they are dialed they wil be awesome...there was a test against all teh new diesels and the ford spanked them all.

drtdevil93

Reaction
only difference in the rear springs is the f350 has an upper overload setup, and the 250 doesnt. the spring pack itself is the identical.

erik

jeff

Reaction
It depends on the year. Pick a year and then everyone stick to the differences of that SPECIFIC year. If you are talking about a 2004 F250 & F350 it'll be different than an earlier model. I too wouldn't run a 6.0L diesel from Ford until they get that thing sorted out. It's like the Duramax - a few of the first had big problems and they seem to be getting better every month.

Aloha

RRose

Reaction
Thanks for all the info guys..... I ordered a f-250 since I plan on changing the leaf packs right away anyway. It'll be here in 6 weeks!

RRose

Reaction
ya.... mine is going to be pretty modest.... but it will look good!