• Forum membership has its advantages....

F1 2018

freddy

The season is not far away now, with the tests only a month away. As always I have high hopes for the coming season.

If we start with the TV broadcast, Liberty is working hard to improve the show with lots of new features. Some kind of extra feed should be available this year if I understand correctly, new graphics for highlighting corners etc. and i heard they are also trying to improve the sound for the viewers. So, lots of cool stuff going on.

As for the racing, let’s hope for a tight season at the top and a championship that goes to the wire.

Some thoughts/speculations...

Mercedes: Bottas will need to improve from last season if he’s to keep his seat. There are a lot of young Mercedes drivers wanting that job, Ocon for one. The fight here will be interesting to watch, will Hamilton keep his motivation from last season?

Ferrari: Is Vettel to alone in the team with Raikkonen on his final stretch of his career? Leclerc is coming in 2019...if nothing unforeseen happens.

RedBull: Will Verstappen put together a championship contending season this year, if he has the car I think he’s up to it. And Ricciardo is not slow either, I think Horner will have a hard time keeping these two working together this year.

Sauber: The team with the biggest improvement potential, which isn’t hard considering last year. Leclerc will be interesting to watch, and as a Swede I want to see how Marcus Ericsson stands against a really talented driver, in a hopefully somewhat competitive car.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Great recap!
I am coming off of the 'high' of Carlos Sainz winning the Dakar. So stoked for him. I am a huge fan of his and his son.

That being said, I am hoping that Renault can bust into the top five with a vengeance. Viva CS jr!

Hamilton: I like the guy, but I get sick of the same guy/team winning over and over. Hoping for a more lively Bottas challenging.

McLaren: Wow...with a decent 'lump' (said with my lame British accent) they could also add to the 'fast five.'

RBR: If Renault comes with some more power and if my hero, Adrian Newey, pens an innovative piece, they could get at least four wins IMO. Max is faster, but Danny R is no slouch. Certainly one of the top five drivers.

Ferrari: Huge question mark for me. Vettel seems to be still in the game, but with Kimi who knows. They might 'plop out' a fast car or they may not. I used to be a huge Ferrari fan but Marchonni (sp?) seems to be a donk.

Others: Charle Leclerc is crazy fast. Might he bring Sauber back a bit. Guessing he will leave Erickson in his dust. Sorry Freddy. Haas...silence from them. Grojean is fast, but as others have stated he can't drive around a situation (chassis irregularity) and tends on getting back to 'whining.' The Force India driver battle will continue to be interesting as will be whether Williams can 'engineer' their way back to be in the 'fast five.' Toro Rosso seems lost after Sainz left, and it will be interesting to see if they can recover.

freddy

Haha, I’m also afraid that Leclerc will leave Eriksson in the dust. But one can always hope...

There will be a fierce fight for being the number 1 Renault team, can the factory and McLaren challenge RedBull?

Regarding Newey, he has new book out that is supposed to be really good - How to build a car

There are also rumors about some changes in the start times for the races this year...haven’t seen anything official yet though.

Remember to follow Alonso at the Daytona 24h race this weekend.

Skickat från min iPhone med race-deZert

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Sorry for the thread hijack, but Freddy I just finished Newey's autobiography 'How to build a car.' Fantastic read and obviously I highly recommend it. The Ross Brawn book, 'Total Competition,' is next up.

Back on topic...I predict that Sainz will get the better of Hulkenberg by mid season. Daytona 24 starts tomorrow.

freddy

Kind of off topic also, but now Alonso in confirmed to race for Toyota at LeMans and other WEC races as well. Big thumbs up to all parties, McLaren and Toyota for giving him the opportunity and Fernando for pushing for it to happen. True racers all.

Daytona wasn’t such a hit for Alonso and the team though. But that’s 24h racing...

Now back to F1 related topics. :)

HAAS! Will they move up to the front of midpack or continue struggling at the back of midpack?
They’ve made good gains but so has everyone else. The race among the midpack is often much more entertaining than the race for the podium.
As Ferrari power plants grow in performance that can only mean good things for HAAS.
I’m having trouble rooting for Ferrari right now after all their grumbling and threats to leave F1. I wished Liberty would call their bluff

vegasloki

HAAS! Will they move up to the front of midpack or continue struggling at the back of midpack?
They’ve made good gains but so has everyone else. The race among the midpack is often much more entertaining than the race for the podium.
As Ferrari power plants grow in performance that can only mean good things for HAAS.
I’m having trouble rooting for Ferrari right now after all their grumbling and threats to leave F1. I wished Liberty would call their bluff
The biggest issue for Haas has been they can't get the tires to temp fast enough and maintain that temp through the stint. They've got plenty of HP. In fact it's not uncommon to see them at the top of the trap speed charts. To compound not being able to get the tires into the window they were still having issues adjusting the brakes to Grosjean's driving style. He's a stomper and not so much a finesse braker. Those two things are the bulk of what's keeping them to taking the fight to Force India.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I would love to see Josef Newgarden in the Haas. He is quick and has a 'can do' attitude.

On another topic...I really like the look of the cars with the minimized shark fin, but the 'halo'....not so much.

Chris_Wilson

Going to miss the Hobbs, Matchett, Diffey, Buxton broadcast team.
If the ABC/ESPN people put Cheever or any of the other idiots on, then I'm out.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Going to miss the Hobbs, Matchett, Diffey, Buxton broadcast team.
If the ABC/ESPN people put Cheever or any of the other idiots on, then I'm out.
I agree and I am going to miss the previous broadcast team as well. They were fantastic! But...I would listen to any broadcasters including the Spanish language broadcast before I would ever be 'out.' LOVE F1

Chris_Wilson

Been a fan for 40 years and followed closely for 35 years. Guess I'm getting old and grumpy. I want my F1 served up on a silver platter.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Guessing we are grossly the same age as I have been watching intently for 34 years. 1984 was my first full year when we got 'cable' my junior year of college. I have only missed watching one race since then.

We were spoiled by the NBCSN broadcasts and commentators. Hoping Liberty and ESPN can throw down for us loyal fans.

Nothing can be worse than Greg Creamer on the IMSA broadcast. Ugh.
Well, to be fair he’s gotten better but nothing worse than watching a six hour race and the broadcaster is literally screaming at every turn like they’re headed for the last turn of the last lap but there’s still 4 hours to go.
Like I said he’s gotten better and he even lets Calvin Fish talk once in awhile but dang.

Mom got me Road & Track when I was in 6th grade and dad had a big block in a 73 Toyota landcruiser. Grew up loving anything with an engine, the desert, F1,and sporty Cars.
I was devestated when Nikki Lauda almost died in his fiery crash and in awe when he came back, it seemed other worldly, left me speechless.
I loved Mario and rejoiced over his world championship.
Senna vs Prost made my blood boil and I was mad at both of them, if I had that chance I’d never be so stupid, don’t these guys know they’re living my dreams. Awe F1......
Now I’m stuck with Hamilton, come on Seb let’s get this thing rolling again but really pulling for Haas, it’s a long stretch but I’m only 53, I got time, hopefully.

freddy

Didn’t I read somewhere that ESPN will show the Sky Sports coverage in the US? If so, you are all in for a treat.

freddy