F1 2020

michael.gonzalez

Concerning the Dual Axis Steering (DAS):
"It wasn't long before the paddock became suspicious. The rules clearly state no suspension changes can be made while the car is in motion, and that any "device" capable of altering the the suspension or affecting its performance is forbidden. In an interview with Motorsport.com, however, Mercedes designer James Allison said the team is "pretty confident" the system is legal."

A: altering the the suspension
B: affecting its performance

In my opinion, the DAS does not alter the suspension (A). The grey area comes when you assess how it impacts the performance of the car's suspension (B).

Bricoop

It's a brilliant idea. What do you think it uses, hydraulics?

Some are arguing the toe is just like steering. Effectively you are just steering the wheels (independently).

Talking to my buddy who does some mid-level road racing. The huge advantage here is tire temps. Think if you can throw a bunch of toe into it on the straightaway, or if you need to cool them off, do the opposite. I'm sure they have strategies worked out for leading the field out of a safety car.

michael.gonzalez

Also helps with ground vehicle dynamics. Toe out provides better stability when initiating a turn. But as you said the toe change also controls tire temps and tire wear, rolling resistance.
It might be purely mechanical with no hydraulic assistance. At least that would be the best simplicity wise and weight wise.

I think strictly speaking the wheels are still “dependent”. Just two inputs rather than one input. The two tie rods are linked together, albeit, not traditionally.

This a substantial innovation into how drivers can gain an advantage over one another. The additional driver input will introduce a new variable for drivers to control the vehicle.

Last edited:

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
I've been watching Netflix drive to survive both 1 & 2 all I can say is WOW I knew it was stupid expensive but 1500 employees, R&D, transportation, 3D printing, carbon fibre shop, a CNC shop that makes Northrop Grumman jealous, this list could go on for a week so you get the idea.
Williams racing spends around 150 MILLION (poverty racing) compared to 500 to 600 MILLION Mercedes-Benz budget (cheese & wine crowd) I mean HOLY SHIZT!

One thing I did notice was the use of BELL helmets compared to what I thought was the best & most expensive shoei helmets.
BELL was a hell of a good helmet once upon a time lately all I've seen is mudflaps & cup holders @ Kmart the last 30 years

Last edited:

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Likely the best F1 helmet is Schuberth. German made and crazy attention to detail.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
I'll have to find one to give it a look just to see what the Germans are doing to complicate something simple, I'm shure it takes an engennering degree to operate the strap........cool I can't wait!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Agree. Stoked that Sainz got the nod and Dani Ric needed to get away from that French lump.

Chris_Wilson

Looks like Williams up for sale and Toto Wolff stepping down as team principal at Mercedes.

cm cm

Disgusted by Hamilton’s pandering... he successfully made non American f1 drivers apologize for not commenting on the BLM movement... something that frankly has nothing to do with any of them?

I can handle the Snapchat cringe’s, I can handle some eco activism, but god damn is this guy cringe pilled...

Bricoop

Another fun race. Too bad McLaren destroyed Sainz's chances early on.
Worth 3 minutes:
Sounds like Racing Point has been copying their friend's homework, at least that is what Renault believes.